SCVMM Logical Switch alongside existing teamed Hyper-V Virtual Switch?

I have a Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster with two nodes. Each has two physical NICs (pNIC1 and pNIC2), teamed together (NICTeam1), and  an external Virtual Switch (VSwitch1) that I created with this powershell:

PS> New-VMSwitch VSwitch1 -NetAdapterName NICTeam1 -MinimumBandwidthMode Weight -AllowManagementOS $false

I also created 3 vNICs that use VSwitch1, one each for Management, Live Migration, and Cluster traffic, which I created with these kinds of powershells:

PS> Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name LiveMigration -SwitchName VSwitch1

PS> Set-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name LiveMigration -MinimumBandwidthWeight 20
PS> Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName LiveMigration" -Access -VlanId 12

Inside Hyper-V,  I created a SQL VM and an SCVMM VM using the VSwitch1. Then I began creating VMs in SCVMM also using VSwitch1.

VSwitch1 shows up inside SCVMM as a Standard Switch. Now I realize that what I really need is to define a Logical Switch in SCVMM, to work much more effectively! I went through all the steps and created LSwitch1. From VMM console, I right clicked my first Hyper-V host to bring up properties, and I went to the Virtual Switches tab, where I see VSwitch1 listed as an External switch. But when I do "Add New Logical Switch", and specify any of the available physical adapters, either NICTeam1, pNIC1, or pNIC2, I get errors:

Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver(NICTeam1) is either part of more than one virtual switch or added twice as part of a single team. Make sure the physical network adapter is used only once.

Error (50069) A virtual switch cannot be created on physical adapter (pNIC1) because the adapter is already part of a team. Please delete the team from the host and virtual switch on the physical network adapters.

How do I introduce a SCVMM Logical Switch into my setup without losing  all my Hyper-V and VM configurations?

Thanks,

November 8th, 2014 5:10pm

You can remove one physical nic form the existing team (without deleting the team) and then use this pNIC as an uplink port for logical switch. You loose redundancy, but gain ability to move VMs to the new logical switch one by one. Once migration is completed, remove the standard switch and associated nic team, then add second uplink port to your logical switch.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2014 6:56pm

Ok. But if I carry out your plan, and at the end I remove the standard switch VSwitch1 and my physical NICTeam1, what do I do to replace the 3 vNICs on both of my hosts that use currently use VSwitch1? I have one vNIC for Management, for Live Migration, and Cluster traffic. I created them with these kinds of powershells:

PS> Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name LiveMigration -SwitchName VSwitch1
PS> Set-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name LiveMigration -MinimumBandwidthWeight 20
PS> Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName LiveMigration" -Access -VlanId 12

As you see, I have a MininumBandwidthWeight and a VlanId specified for each one. How do I create equivalent functionality within my LSwitch1 logical switch? And how do I avoid losing communication for Management, Live Migration, and Cluster when I delete VSwitch1 and NICTeam1 near the end of the procedure?

Thanks

November 8th, 2014 7:29pm

You can create virtual NICs and attach them to the logical switch in host configuration in VMM: fabric-->Servers-->Host Properties-->Virtual Switches. There you can specify default VLAN id for the vNIC, and port profile, which controls (among other things) bandwidth allocation for your vNIC.
November 9th, 2014 12:45am

Aha, Gleb. You mean create a new Virtual Network Adapter for the Logical Switch like in this screenshot? (I didn't click OK yet)

If I make three such Virtual Network Adapters, then how do I also make settings for them equivalent to what I currently have in Failover Cluster Manager for my Hyper-V cluster? As in this screenshot, where you can see my 3 existing vNICs listed, and their settings:

You can see that my Management vNIC is for Cluster and Client, and the Live Migration and Cluster vNICs are for Cluster use Only. Also, Live Migration is restricted to the LiveMigration vNIC. And I forced Cluster traffic onto the Cluster vNIC with these powershells, per http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-network-binding-order/:

PS> (Get-ClusterNetwork "Cluster Network 3").Metric = 900
PS> Get-ClusterNetwork | ft Name,AutoMetric,Metric,Role
Cluster Network 1 Autometric true Metric 79840 Role 3
Cluster Network 2 Autometric true Metric 39840 Role 1
Cluster Network 3 Autometric false Metric 900 Role 1

What new settings do I make to force Management, Live Migration, and Cluster traffic onto the 3 new VMM Virtual Network Adapters that I will create for the Logical Switch?

November 9th, 2014 1:55am

Gleb, I answered my own questions:

Q: If I make three such Virtual Network Adapters in VMM console for the logical switch, then how do I also make settings for them equivalent to what I currently have in Failover Cluster Manager for my Hyper-V cluster?

A: When you use VMM Console to create Virtual Network Adapters with names like "ManagementLS1" for the Logical Switch LSwitch1, that will create new vNICs in the target Hyper-V host with names "vEthernet (ManagementLS1)". Make sure you use a different name and IP address for the new vNICs, but within the same subnet as the old ones. As soon as you create each new vNIC, disable the old vNIC "vEthernet (Management)" from Control Panel Network Connections on the Hyper-V host, so that Failover Cluster Manager does not throw errors due to having 2 vNICS on the same subnet. In Failover Cluster Manager, the lower Network Connections tab will then show the new "ManagementLS1" vNIC as the one listening on the Management network, ditto for the Cluster and LiveMigration networks.

Q: What new settings do I make to force Management, Live Migration, and Cluster traffic onto the 3 new VMM Virtual Network Adapters that I will create for the Logical Switch?

A: I think the settings carry over from the previous Hyper-V only setup, as long as you define the new logical switch vNICs with IP address in the same subnets as before. Also, I'm not sure why, but I think you need to set an appropriate Port profile classification for the new Logical Switch Virtual Network Adapters. For Live Migration, I used the built-in "Live migration workload" classification, for Management I used "Host Management", and for Cluster I used "Host Cluster Workload"

I am up to the point where I implemented the new Logical Switch LSwitch1, and I migrated all my VMs from using the old VSwitch1 in Hyper-V to the new LSwitch1 in SCVMM.

I will now see if I can take advantage of the new IP address pools that are part of the Logical Switch configuration. If that works, then I will delete VSwitch1 and NICTeam1, and I will add the physical NIC left over from NICTeam1 to the physical NIC that I already added to LSwitch1. I will let you know how that all works out! Thank you Gleb!!

November 9th, 2014 10:18pm

You did all right with the configuration. Port profiles define those bandwidth reserves that you configured with powershell (MinimumBandwidthWeight 20), as well as, other parameters for the vNICs. You can still use powershell and configure it on each host, but using port profiles allows you to manage these settings from one place, so the next time you ned to adjust bw reserve for live migratiuon nics , you can do it by just changing the setting in live migration port profile.
November 10th, 2014 9:09am

Gleb,

I'm having errors creating a VM using the new Logical Switch. I used VMM Console to create the VM from one of my existing VMM templates, and I specified the new "VMnet101" for my VMnetwork, as you can see here:

But the VM creation ended up with these errors:

Error (26894) VM network (VMnet101) is unavailable on virtual switch (VSwitch1)
Error (26857) The VLAN ID (101) is not valid because the VM network (VMnet101) does not include the VLAN ID in a network site accessible by the host.
Error (25164) Virtual switch on host does not contain requested port classification.

VSwitch1 is the original Hyper-V switch. I haven't deleted it yet, because I want to make sure everything works first. LSwitch1 is the new SCVMM logical switch that I created, with VMnet101 is one of the VM networks on it, as you can see from this screenshot:

VMnet101 belongs to LSwitch1. Why is there an error saying that it is unavailable on VSwitch1?

November 11th, 2014 3:59pm

I figured out that error happened because my Hyper-V switch "VSwitch1" is burned into my template somehow, even though the template is sysprep'd.

I had a clone of the template available. From SCVMM I cloned the clone, made sure it used my SCVMM logical switch "LSwitch1", then created a new SCVMM template from it.

I was then able to deploy new VMs from the new template to "LSwitch1", I use VM network "VMnet101" and address pool "IPpool101" associated with the switch, and was able to auto-join it to the domain. With this new template, I did not get the "Error (26894) VM network (VMnet101) is unavailable on virtual switch (VSwitch1)."

My next step is to completely remove the Hyper-V virtual switch VSwitch from SCVMM and the Hyper-V hosts, then remove the NIC Team, and take the one physical NIC from each host that gets released from the NIC Team and allocate them to the Logical Switch.

November 12th, 2014 2:17am

Im all done! My Hyper-V virtual switch is now completely replaced with a SCVMM logical switch.

Gleb, your method is a winner!

Hey Microsoft: Maybe in SCVMM 2015 you can make it easier to move a Hyper-V-only environment that has Hyper-V virtual switches to SCVMM with logical switches? This procedure that I finally worked out with Gleb's help was scary at times.

I had some difficulty getting rid of some Hyper-V leftovers in my environment, these articles helped:

Removing the ghost Hyper-V vNic adapter when using Converged Networks after in-place upgrade to W2012R2 {Nov 20 2013}http://cloudtidings.com/2013/11/20/removing-the-ghost-hyper-v-vnic-adapter-when-using-converged-networks-after-in-place-upgrade-to-w2012r2/ Explains how to you can delete the disabled vNics that were left over from the Hyper-V VSwitch.

Delete VSwitch from Hyper-V R2 {8/10/2010}
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Microsoft_Applications/Virtual_Server/Q_26392792.html says Virtual network switches are located here in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VMSMP\Parameters\SwitchList
You can manually delete them from there.  You may need to disable the Hyper-V Networking Management Service (possibly all Hyper-V Services) in order to delete the switch completely. Make sure that you backup any keys that you are working with in case you need to restore them.

Here a couple screenshots to show what I ended up with:

SCVMM host properties:

Host Server Manager NIC Team properties:

Thanks, Gleb,

м !

November 14th, 2014 9:54pm

Hi !

I did something quite similare, but at the end, my management Virtual Network Adapter name on my Hyper-V host doesn't fit the name I put in SCVMM Virtual Switch configuration.

On SCVMM, the provided name is "nConsole" :

But on my Hyper-V host, it appears as "tVMNet", the name of my team (and my uplink on scvmm) :

Any idea why ?

Thx

Hel

• Edited by Helvetik 19 hours 25 minutes ago
August 18th, 2015 7:53am

Hi !

I did something quite similare, but at the end, my management Virtual Network Adapter name on my Hyper-V host doesn't fit the name I put in SCVMM Virtual Switch configuration.

But on my Hyper-V host, it appears as "tVMNet", the name of my team (and my uplink on scvmm) :

Any idea why ?

Thx

Hel

• Edited by Helvetik Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:51 AM
August 18th, 2015 11:49am

Hi !

Any idea why ?

Thx

Hel

Hi !

Any idea why ?

Thx

Hel

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics