SCVMM Error 13206 Failed to Install VM components

I'm running a MS Windows Failover Cluster with 4 nodes and one SCVMM host. All servers have the latest update of Windows Server 2012 R2.
What I'm trying to do is create some virtual machines on the SCVMM Host and then migrate them onto the cluster and vice versa.

The problem occurs every single time when migrating to or from Node 4.

If I create 4 VMs and migrate them to the 4 nodes, 3 complete successfully and the 4th one fails. The only difference I noticed is one extra step introduced when working with Node 4. The step is Install VM components.

Successful migration to all other nodes:

Move virtual machine VM-3 from VMMHost to Node-3 using SAN  
Run pre checks for transfer 
Change virtual machine status   
Export Hyper-V virtual machine  
Deploy file (using LAN)  
Deploy file (using LAN)     
Deploy file (using SAN transfer)    
Import Hyper-V virtual machine      
Remove virtual machine

Failed migration with the extra step to Node 4:

Move virtual machine VM-4 from VMMHost to Node-4 using SAN  
Run pre checks for transfer 
Change virtual machine status   
Export Hyper-V virtual machine  
Deploy file (using LAN) 
Deploy file (using LAN)     
Deploy file (using SAN transfer)    
Import Hyper-V virtual machine      
Remove virtual machine      
Install VM components   

The same step occurs even when I attempt the process with 8 VMs instead of 4. Any other number (1,2,3) of VMs does not encounter the additional step.

The issue also occurs when migrating from cluster to host with the same error on the same VM and the same Node.

This is the error shown by VMM:

Error (13206)
Virtual Machine Manager cannot locate the boot or system volume on virtual machine VM-4. The resulting virtual machine might not start or operate properly.

I checked the Roles and Features on all the nodes and they are the same. Also, up do date. SCVMM is also up to date with UR7.

Any idea what causes this extra step to occur only on that particular node? And why does it fail? Also, how could I prevent it?

September 5th, 2015 1:39pm

Hi Sir,

>>If I create 4 VMs and migrate them to the 4 nodes, 3 complete successfully and the 4th one fails.

All 4 VMs are created from same VM template ?

>>The issue also occurs when migrating from cluster to host with the same error on the same VM and the same Node.

Do you mean that the all VMs can be migrated  successfully to and from other nodes except migrating that "problematic" VM to Node 4 ?

Please try to run cluster validation first then check the report to see if there is any issue regarding node 4.

Also please check integration services state and installation of Guest agent for that "problematic" VM .

Any information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 1:56am

Hi Sir,

Is there any update ?

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

September 10th, 2015 5:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics