SCVMM 2012r2 UR5 Issues

Hi All,

We have just updated SCVMM 2012R2 to UR5 and are having a few issues. When we try to perform a live storage migration the job will instantly fail with:

Error (20404)
VMM cannot find a required object.

Recommended Action
Ensure the object is valid, and then try the operation again.

Also we are using Hyper V Replica to replicate to our DR site. The SCVMM console shows the replication health as "Not Applicable" and replication status as "Disabled". However checking replication within Hyper V Manager shows that it is still working ok.

Has anybody else had these issues or know of a fix?

Cheers

February 12th, 2015 8:18pm

I do have the replication issue. Not tried a live storage migration since the update though.

Replication issue is annoying and dangerous, all the VMs at the DR site just show as normal powered-off VMs and not the special 'replica' icon they used to use. Be great to see if anyone has fixed this.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2015 2:44am

Just done a live storage migration and that's working, but the replica thing is definitely not.
February 13th, 2015 3:57am

I managed to fix the storage migration issue by rebooting all of our hosts. However the replica information still isn't showing. I'm thinking that this may now be tied in to the Azure Recovery Manager or something which we aren't using as everything is done in-house.
February 13th, 2015 6:46am

Has anyone found out why UR5 causes VMM to no longer think replica VMs are replica VMs?  It looks like a problem with the console itself. We found using the VMM console with UR4 still shows the replica VMs normally. 
February 13th, 2015 6:10pm

Hello All,

Before installing the UR 5, SCVMM was not allowing me to associate the Replica VMs to the Cloud. All of my primary VMs were already associated with the Cloud when I had UR 4 installed (before applying the UR 5).

Whenever I tried to associate any replica VM with the cloud and right-click on the VM, then the Properties tab was inactive/disabled.

But after applying the UR 5, I observed that SCVMM is allowing me to associate all my replica VMs with cloud. So I immediately associated all my replica VMs with my Private Cloud. I don't know if I had done this right or made a mistake.

Therefore, I think the after applying the UR 5, SCVMM is not understanding the replica VMs.

Can anyone please advise?

Best regards,

Hasan

February 19th, 2015 1:39am

Hello All,

Before installing the UR 5, SCVMM was not allowing me to associate the Replica VMs to the Cloud. All of my primary VMs were already associated with the Cloud when I had UR 4 installed (before applying the UR 5).

Whenever I tried to associate any replica VM with the cloud and right-click on the VM, then the Properties tab was inactive/disabled.

But after applying the UR 5, I observed that SCVMM is allowing me to associate all my replica VMs with cloud. So I immediately associated all my replica VMs with my Private Cloud. I don't know if I had done this right or made a mistake.

Therefore, I think the after applying the UR 5, SCVMM is not understanding the replica VMs.

Best regards,

Hasan

February 19th, 2015 9:37am

Hello All,

Best regards,

Hasan

February 19th, 2015 9:37am

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem with the live migration (Error 20404). Has anyone some news about that issue? 

As I have currently no replicated VM I cannot say anything about the problem with replica VMs...

Thx

J0F3

February 23rd, 2015 4:20am

The Replica status stuff is a known issue , I am told they are working to address the issue.

Yes, rebooting the VM host seems to fix the storage migration issue.

February 23rd, 2015 11:06am

For the problem with the replica VMs is now a hotfix aviable if you didn't see it already:
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3039296/en-us

Rebooting did not help for me. But maybe we habe a different problem. I do not use storge migration. I have the error when I to move a VM by Live Migration within a cluster. 

• Edited by J0fe 4 hours 27 minutes ago
February 24th, 2015 2:09am

For the problem with the replica VMs is now a hotfix aviable if you didn't see it already:

Rebooting did not help for me. But maybe we habe a different problem. I do not use storge migration. I have the error when I to move a VM by Live Migration within a cluster. 

• Edited by J0fe Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:09 AM
February 24th, 2015 7:09am

• Edited by J0fe Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:09 AM
February 24th, 2015 10:09am

You can now find a fix for this in the UR5 hotfix, here: 

February 24th, 2015 11:40am

• Proposed as answer by Jonobie Ford-MSFT Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Marked as answer by Spudgey Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:33 AM
February 24th, 2015 4:40pm

• Proposed as answer by Jonobie Ford-MSFT Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Marked as answer by Spudgey Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:33 AM
February 24th, 2015 4:40pm

Thanks Jonobie,

The hotfix has resolved the issues with replication health.

Cheers

• Edited by Spudgey Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:38 AM
March 4th, 2015 4:38am

Thanks Jonobie,

The hotfix has resolved the issues with replication health.

Cheers

• Edited by Spudgey Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:38 AM
March 4th, 2015 4:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics