SCVMM 2012 SP1 - several VM's disappear and after a while shows back for few seconds - over and over.

hi all,

VM's disappear from LAB hosts. those were cloned(or)imported from PROD (V2V) (and also a part of the same VMM).

I didn't made those clones\imports so I'm not sure, but maybe the GUID's are the same as the VM's from the PROD, so maybe that's what cause the VM's to disappear.

after a machine disappears under LAB host group, something strange happens: I see for few milliseconds that a machine which usually under PROD host group (with the same name as the one that disappeared) shows under this host group, that's what lead me to think that a duplicate GUID might cause that.

I haven't found anything online.

p.s - when I check those machines from the Hyper-V Manager - all the machines exists and kicking.

any help \ suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

/Gal

April 22nd, 2013 7:49pm

Can you select the host in the VMs and Services overview and run the 'refresh virtual machines' job? This should update/detect all the VMs on that particular host. Also, where does these virtual machines come from? are they created outside of VMM? Converted? Imported? or is everything created with VMM?

Just asking prior to giving you some ninja tips that I have ran into :-)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2013 8:31pm

This happens to me for my vmware VMs if they where restored from Veeam with a new name. If I clone the VM (and delete the source once done), they stop disappearing and reappearing.

April 22nd, 2013 9:04pm

Can you select the host in the VMs and Services overview and run the 'refresh virtual machines' job? This should update/detect all the VMs on that particular host. Also, where does these virtual machines come from? are they created outside of VMM? Converted? Imported? or is everything created with VMM?

Just asking prior to giving you some ninja tips that I have ran in

April 23rd, 2013 9:56am

This happens to me for my vmware VMs if they where restored from Veeam with a new name. If I clone the VM (and delete the source once done), they stop disappearing and reappearing.

Hi and thanks for your suggestion James. I'll go through that once I'll not find any other solution.
April 23rd, 2013 10:58am

have you tried to remove and add the hosts to VMM again?

-kn

April 23rd, 2013 10:46pm

have you tried to remove and add the hosts to VMM again?

April 24th, 2013 5:18pm

Kristian, I'm still wating for some ninja tips before cloning the vm's :-)

thanks

April 29th, 2013 12:26pm

Sorry for the delay, Gal D.

Please note that this is not an official workaround for your exact problem, but I was having several issues with the VMM and its database at a customer site for some time ago.

Also, make sure you take a backup of your VMM database prior to doing anything.

See this link for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756886

I know it is not relevant for the behavior you are seeing, but in my case I encountered those too.

-kn

April 29th, 2013 9:15pm

I've had this issue recently and it was most certainly a people process problem internally.  Once SCVMM is in place within an environment , you should not manage Hyper-V Guests from outside SCVMM (ie Hyper-V Management tools). 

I've corrected the problem.  Here's how.  For the problematic machine, through Hyper-V management i exported the machine to a temp folder.  Deleted VM from hyper-v, Deleted VM from failover cluster manager, deleted from scvmm 2012.  Once this was done, logged into scvmm and created a server with no hard drives which was highly available, copied my disks back over, and  then reattached the drives to the server. 

The problem is caused with someone exports a virtual machine, and then imports the same virtual machines through hyper-v and when prompted for the import method the GREEN BOX Below is selected, when instead the RED Box should be selected.  SCVMM relys on Hyper-V to create it's unique identifiers and if we have duplicates through the import SCVMM will handle the best way it can...which means temporarily putting the machine on different nodes :)   

May 7th, 2013 4:24pm

I have only got the behavior when importing VM's.  For an import where you've seeded the files on your cluster REGISTER is the correct method.

I was able to get the VM's to sustain in the SCVMM UI by doing the following. After import, update virtual additions. Then reboot, refresh VM in VMM when it's briefly available. Then shut it down and move it to another host in Failover Cluster Manager while it's shutdown. Most of the time it sticks when it's started back up, but there have been a few times where I have to do this a few times before successful.

This is obviously a bug that should be corrected in a future release.

• Register
    • If you have a virtual machine were you have already put all of the virtual machine files exactly where you want them, and you just need Hyper-V to start using the virtual machine where it is this is the option you want to choose.
  • Restore
    • If your virtual machine files are stored on a file share / removable drive / etc and you want Hyper-V to move the files to the appropriate location for you, and then register the virtual machine this is the option for you.
  • Copy
    • If you have a set of virtual machine files that you want to import multiple times (e.g. you are using them as a template for new virtual machines) this is what you want to choose.  This will copy the files to an appropriate location, give the virtual machine a new unique ID, and then register the virtual machine.

August 17th, 2013 4:42pm

I was able to solve this issue by simply deleting the VMs from VMM when they appeared as running on the wrong host server.  Once the erroneous VMs were deleted, refreshing the true host allowed them to appear and stay.
February 27th, 2014 5:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics