SCVMM 2012 R2 with 3PAR 7200

I want to configure our 3PAR to work with SCVMM so I can use rapid provisioning. I was wondering if anyone knew of the documentation on setting this up and how to configure SCVMM for this. I already have my 3PAR added to SCVMM storage under Arrays and I cna see all my logical disks.

I'm just not sure how to configure it so I can use rapid provisioning.

January 21st, 2015 11:50pm

One of the things i'm not understand is I guess I can't use a file server library that has SAN access for SAN copy? This article makes me think that the library server HAS to be a hyper-v host for this to work: http://www.thecloudbuilderblog.com/blog/2013/2/26/san-based-rapid-provisioning-with-scvmm-2012-sp1-and-netapp.html
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 22nd, 2015 12:02am

I got it working. What I did is presented a LUN to my SCVMM server and created a mount point (instead of drive letter) for the new volume inside of the SCVMM Library. Then I refreshed my 3PAR in SCVMM and refreshed the library. Now it says SAN Copy Capable.

NOTE: I take it back. I go into it again and now it sans its not SAN Copy Capable. ARGH!

EDIT: Can I only have one VHDX on an entire SAN LUN? When I have just one it says SAN Copy Capable. When there is more than one it changes to NO

• Marked as answer by Quadrantids Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:41 PM
  • Unmarked as answer by Quadrantids Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Edited by Quadrantids Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:24 PM
January 22nd, 2015 1:40am

I got it working. What I did is presented a LUN to my SCVMM server and created a mount point (instead of drive letter) for the new volume inside of the SCVMM Library. Then I refreshed my 3PAR in SCVMM and refreshed the library. Now it says SAN Copy Capable.

NOTE: I take it back. I go into it again and now it sans its not SAN Copy Capable. ARGH!

EDIT: Can I only have one VHDX on an entire SAN LUN? When I have just one it says SAN Copy Capable. When there is more than one it changes to NO

• Marked as answer by Quadrantids Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:41 PM
  • Unmarked as answer by Quadrantids Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Edited by Quadrantids Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:24 PM
January 22nd, 2015 1:40am

Hi Quadrantids,

"Can I only have one VHDX on an entire SAN LUN?"

Yes , you can .

Paul

February 3rd, 2015 4:42am

That seems a little odd... doesn't it? So I need to create a LUN from the SAN for each master image I create?
February 3rd, 2015 6:32pm

>>So I need to create a LUN from the SAN for each master image I create?

Yes, For Rapid provisioning this is a restriction as snapshot is done at the LUN level and every thing on that LUN (mount point inside the library server share) will be available in a LUN snapshot/Clone that will be provisioned to host/cluster.

February 6th, 2015 12:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics