SCVMM 2012 Cluster Validation Error

We manage a Hyper-V cluster in SCVMM 2012 (RTM). When running a cluster validation on the cluster (rightclick the clustername - validate cluster) the command Test-SCVMHostCluster is executed. Almost immediately the erro 25300 appears:

Error (25300)
Cluster validation failed because of error: The computer '<Server DNS name>' does not have the Failover Clustering feature installed. Use Server Manager to install the feature on this computer..

Recommended Action
Refer cluster documentation to resolve the issue.

I am sure the clustering feature is installed. The Host functions perfectly.

How to troubleshoot this?

May 4th, 2012 8:08pm

Hello Stephan,
Are you validating the cluster on VMM or in Hyperv Cluster?

Can you please do the test in Hyperv Hosts?
Go to Hyperv hosts. Open Powershell
See if Failover Cluster is installed.

PS C:\Users\administrator> import-module servermanager
PS C:\Users\administrator> get-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering

Display Name                                            Name
------------                                            ----
[X] Failover Clustering                                 Failover-Clustering

Then open Server manager , Feature tab.

Can you see the nodes and Cluster Name under Failover Cluster Manager?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 4th, 2012 8:51pm

Check for validate.

Check Run only tests i select. Next.

Check only Cluster configuration and subcategories.

You dont need Inventory,Network, Storage , System Configuration.

Then check for the results.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

May 4th, 2012 8:52pm

Hi Murat,

Thanks for your reply.

The Failover Cluster feature is running on all 4 machines, when viewing the PS command Get-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering. There are VM's on all servers, and live migration is working for months on this cluster, so it would be strange if it wasn't so.

The test is running without errors or warnings.

So there is no problem with the cluster. The issue must be in SCVMM 2012.

May 7th, 2012 8:03am

Hello Stephan,

I made a deeper research try to reproduce the problem in my environments at the weekend but no success.

But i find the solution as KB:

KB2680262
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2680262
Please restart all nodes in cluster.

KB2679531
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2679531
Use registry editor.

I think these steps will resolve your problems.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

May 7th, 2012 8:30am

Murat,

I'm not going to change a reg setting or restart the host. Lets explain a bit further:

I have a perfectly working Hyper-V cluster. I installed a fresh VMM 2012 server with a new SQL database. I imported the cluster into the VMM server. The cluster shows all nodes and VM's. No errors, all host status are OK and all cluster service Running.

But when starting a Validate Cluster, the error I showed in my original post shows up. This is a bug in VMM, isn't it?

Regards,

Stephan

May 7th, 2012 12:08pm

I rebooted the machine and added the HelperHostConnectRetryCount value, but both didn't help.

I think I will open a support case with MS to investigate on this issue.

May 7th, 2012 3:24pm

Hello Stephan,

Yes better to open a support ticket on MS.

Will wait for your answer.

Sorry that my suggestions didnt solve your problem.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

May 7th, 2012 5:45pm

Murat,

No problem, I appreciate your help. I'll let you know when I know more.

May 8th, 2012 6:34am

Stephan,

did you resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem with a freshly installed VMM2012SP1

Best regards,
Christian

February 1st, 2013 9:57am

maybe this a little basic thig, but did you try to add NETBIOS name and FQDN for the cluster and Hyper-v hosts to VMM hosts file ?
February 9th, 2013 10:43pm

I am having the same issue in that I have 4 hosts running 2008 R2 and all cluster validation succeeds when using the Failover Cluster Manager, but yet I still receive these errors every now and then with NO PROBLEMS ON VIRTUAL MACHINES.  Our VMs don't restart, they don't bluescreen, they don't even show errors and cause hiccups on the terminal servers that are hosting well over 150 users combined.  I, like the original poster, am only worried that this is some indication of a potentially serious underlying issue that I should take care of.

This happened after having a perfectly fine VMM 2012 SP1 server that developed a corrupt database after a power failure.  I had to uninstall VMM and reinstall it, then re-associate the cluster.  The whole process went perfectly fine, but now all servers need attention because the cluster was not validated and when I try to validate, it says that the cluster service is not installed.  I have not changed any firewall settings or really any settings at all since the reinstallation process of VMM 2012 SP1 literally took a couple of hours from uninstall to reinstall.

Here's to hoping that my reply may bring this thread back to the attention of others and get a solution posted!

May 30th, 2013 6:11pm

I am also having the same issue.  I tried destroying the cluster then un-installing and re-installing the Failover Clustering role.  No dice.

Here is hoping that if enough folks post here, a solution will make an appearance!

April 14th, 2015 7:13am

Stephan

Did you ever get an answer/resolution to this? I am facing the same issue.

Thanks,

April 23rd, 2015 9:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics