SCVMM 2012 - P2V SQL Cluster

Hello,

I have a two node Server 2008 R2 failover cluster that I tried to P2V over the weekend. The cluster has SQL Server Service and a File Server on it. We moved the services and storage to Node2 and powered off Node1. We then did an offline P2V which completed successfully. Upon powering on the VM everything looked good until trying to connect the the cluster. We received event ID error 1034 which says the "quorum" disk could not be brought online because the associated disk could  not be found. I tried connecting to the cluster with the quorum both "Online" and "Offline". Node1 was reporting as "Down" which is was and "Node2" is in a joining state. We've since went back to the physical servers but I was wondering how to go about P2Ving a cluster like this. I was thinking if we evicted Node1 before doing the P2V than the VM would not look for Node1 but I think we'll still have the issue with the quorum disk. Also, what do you do for the heartbeat connection in a case like this? Thanks

March 30th, 2015 7:30am

Hi,

The P2V of a failover cluster is possible but there are some consoderations : The Shared Storage

1. Tell me first, on your SQL server FC, where the databases are they stored, what is the connection type (FC, iSCSI...) ? In think on a SAN?
  2. When making the P2V, did you convert the disks where your DBs are located ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 8:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics