SCSM Portal and forms based authentication
I'd like to create different login accounts for our clients instead of bogging up our AD, so that they can access the EndUser site.

1. Would it be possible to use FBA with the self service portal?

2. If so, would their login details also be filled automatically in the various fields once authenticated into the portal?

I've tried creating membership providers which the EndUser site inherits.
I've configured the managed pipeline to run in Integrated mode and assigned a valid application pool to my SCSM portal.

I keep getting an HTTP Error 401.2 unauthorized.

If someone could explain to me whether it is possible to use FBA, I'd greatly appreciate it. So far it seems only Windows Authentication will work.
December 21st, 2009 3:07pm

Hi,
The portal will use integrated authentication as default. Dont think there is a default way to switch to form based authentication. When the user browse to the portal the logged on user is collected from the machine and thenn the portal will show information about that user account, syncronized from AD. If you dont want to use that account, and you find out how to build form based authantication you will have to create dummy accounts in SM, so SM can show information for that user, even if the user account was not syncronized from AD. Also think that domain users has access by default, so if you start changing account you might need to change it under profiles in SM consol
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 21st, 2009 5:47pm

No activity on this thread in a couple of weeks so marking the above response from Anders as the answer.  If you need additional assistance with this, please unmark the post above as the answer.
January 8th, 2010 9:24am

I know this answer is too late for the author but for others like me who landed here searching for a solution, this may help:
1. It IS possible to use FBA w/ self service portal

2. Did not understand this second part, what did you mean automatically fill in their login details?

Regardless, those who are looking know that it IS possible to use forms and claims-based authentication to access your portal website. I am actually working on this myself right now, a simple google search will reveal many posts. Actually even Travis has a long post and slides you can check out yourself.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2014 6:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics