SCSM Configuration Item Relationship Heirarchy

Within SCSM I have built relationships between Configuration Items.  For example, I built the relationship between a Windows VM Server and the ESX Host upon which it resides.  What I'm looking to do is show that the ESX Host/VM relationship is actually a Parent/Child relationship.  So that we know that the lower level VM depends on its parent.  I've done some investigation and haven't found any solutions for this.  

Can anyone assist with additional information on how I can accomplish this?  We are looking to build out an entire infrastructure hierarchy of our CI's.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

September 4th, 2015 11:50am

Relationships are, by design, parent/child. The Source is the "parent" and the Target is the "child".

So, if you follow that model, then your ESX Host computer is the source object and your VM is your target object. The relationship then implies the ESX Host computer is the "parent/host" and the VM is the "child/guest".

You did say you want to "show" this relationship. If you want to show it in a report, then present the target of the relationship in a "Guest" column of the report and present the source of the relationship in a "Host" column of the report.

If you want to show this in a Service Manager form it will take some more work and explanation. Is that what you're trying to accomplish? If so, I'll give you some pointers on showing the relationship correctly on a form.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 12:19pm

Aaron,

Thank you for the feedback.  When building the relationship via Orchestrator I used the Source/Target as you described (Parent/Child).  My confusion did come in when viewing the relationships via the SCSM Console.  It makes no reference to that information within a CI.  We will begin to analyze the info from the reporting side to see what we can get.

Thanks again!

Shawn

September 4th, 2015 1:32pm

Relationships are, by design, parent/child. The Source is the "parent" and the Target is the "child".

So, if you follow that model, then your ESX Host computer is the source object and your VM is your target object. The relationship then implies the ESX Host computer is the "parent/host" and the VM is the "child/guest".

You did say you want to "show" this relationship. If you want to show it in a report, then present the target of the relationship in a "Guest" column of the report and present the source of the relationship in a "Host" column of the report.

If you want to show this in a Service Manager form it will take some more work and explanation. Is that what you're trying to accomplish? If so, I'll give you some pointers on showing the relationship correctly on a form.

• Marked as answer by Shawn_Proskin Friday, September 04, 2015 5:27 PM
September 4th, 2015 4:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics