SCSM 2012 - service requests auto complete even with activities in them

I introduced SCSM 2012 on Monday at out company. I have a number of service requests templates that the service desk use.

I have seen a major fault. Occasionally when a request is raised from the template the goes straight to complete and therefore the manual activities are stuck in pending and i have to kill the activities using a powershell script. Below is a screen shot showing an example.

THis was raised from a template the service desk use frequently. The template is ok because we have used it several times. In the example below service desk raised the template - as ever when you raise a request the system moves it from 'new' to 'In Progress' - which is fine you should expect this - but then it automatically moves it from 'In Progress to 'Complete' - this is without the activity being completed. The activity is then stuck in pending. No one is marking the request as complete, the system is doing it - but why??????? there are no workflows set up at all for Service Requests

December 19th, 2012 1:01pm

It's a known bug

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/administration/thread/401a64aa-cba2-4460-815c-ee8c12e73b98

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2012 1:07pm

Hi,

and should be fixed with RU2 in SC 2012 SP1 - targeted for March 2013

December 19th, 2012 2:08pm

has anyone got any updates on this - I still haven't heard if the fix has been released
May 1st, 2013 10:23am

Service Manager (KB2828618)

Issue  3:  Service requests complete unexpectedly because of a race condition between workflows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2802159

Service Manager (KB2828618) Download Download the Service Manager update package now.

May 1st, 2013 12:06pm

That does not help. I installed SP1 and update rollup 2, but no changes.
May 14th, 2013 1:45pm

Can you please provide some information about activities inside your SR ?
May 14th, 2013 2:06pm

I have a lot of templates with one or even thirty activities. All manual activities one after another.

May 30th, 2013 11:37am

Indeed, I can confirm that UR 2 does not fix this issue.  This is causing us LOTS of issues at the moment, as it affects SRs that users work on, where they mark one Activity as complete, and then put the SR on hold.  Also, when putting SRs into an In Progress state again causes the same behaviour.

We has a case open with MS PSS at  the moment.

Cheers

Shaun

May 30th, 2013 12:13pm

Hi.

So, I heard back from PSS today.  It has been confirmed that this issue is similar to that fixed in UR2.  It has been categorised as a bug and has been escalated to the Product Group to fix the issue for a future release.

HTH

Cheers

Shaun

May 31st, 2013 8:28pm

Having issues with that as well. Requests get completed even when Review activities are not approved or with pending manual activities.

I see SCSM is start more than on activity at the same time, even if they are sequential and dependant on each other. It is completely breaking my workflows. Is there any workaround?

Thank you,

June 20th, 2013 7:52pm

We are experiencing the race condition issues with requests completing while activities are in a pending state.  We have installed SP1 and UR2 and the problem still exists.  Is there any update from PSS as to when this is going to be fixed?
July 24th, 2013 3:18pm

Hi,

Is there any microsoft guy here who can explain this problem? We would like to know if they already developing any solution for this?

August 7th, 2013 9:19am

Hi RommeID

Having logged a call with PSS, the response tat I received was that the issue had been confirmed to be a bug, and had been passed to engineering to be fixed.  However, it was stated that the fix probably wouldn't be available in UR3 (SC 2012 SP1 UR3 was released a couple of weeks ago - with no Service Manager fixes).  Therefore I assume that the fix *may* be in UR4.  So maybe a few months before this is available I would imagine.

HTH

Cheers

Shaun

• Edited by Shaun Laughton_ Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:04 AM Correct Name
August 8th, 2013 10:04am

We opened a ticket on this and have been working with a Senior Support Escalation Engineer.  She provided us with a potential workaround that we are currently testing.  I will respond with the results when testing is complete.
August 14th, 2013 7:38pm

hi - any update on how the workaround went?
August 19th, 2013 11:20am

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2013/04/11/update-rollup-2-for-system-center-2012-service-pack-1-service-manager-updates.aspx

So this is a bug in addition to the one fixed in RU2 (issue 3 in the post above)?

We have a customer that is experiencing this issue and is expecting it to be fixed when the upgrade to RU2 for SP1.

Pete

August 21st, 2013 8:21pm

Do you have the case number we can quote?
September 18th, 2013 12:44pm

UR4 appears to address this issue.

Can't post link because my account's still a baby, but it's KB2879276.

Hopefully the second stomp squishes this bug.

November 4th, 2013 9:54pm

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Do you already deployed this patch? Can anyone confirm that this update fixes our problem? Thanks

November 5th, 2013 4:31am

Hi RommelD,

At this moment, the UR4 has removed because there was a problem with debug symbols. More information can find here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2013/10/22/service-manager-2012sp1-ur4-availability.aspx

4.1 release fix this debug problem, after this release (I don't no when this release is), people can confirm if your issue is solved in this release or not.

Regards,

Dennis

November 5th, 2013 6:47am

Haven't deployed UR4 yet but will post back here to indicate whether or not the problem persists after UR4.

November 21st, 2013 5:36pm

Applied UR4 last week, no reports of auto-closing SR's so far, but then again they're not really that obvious unless you're actively looking for them or you happen to stumble across one. Will report back if it seems like the problem persists.

January 29th, 2014 10:28pm

Hi CCOTS-KN

You can actually quite easily test this.

Create an SR from a template that has 3 Manual Activities.  Once created it will progress through the 'Submitted' status to the 'In Progress' status.  The first Manual Activity should also be 'In Progress'.  Now complete the first Manual Activity, then wait for the second Manual Activity to go to the 'In Progress' status.  Now, put the SR 'On Hold'.  Wait for a couple of minutes - until the 2nd and 3rd Manual Activities are paused.  Now resume the SR.  What should happen is that the Manual Activity resume workflow should trigger before other workflows, resulting in the SR and the Manual Activities remaining 'In Progress'.  If the issue is not fixed, the completion workflow will trigger first resulting in a completed SR with paused activities.

HTH

Cheers

Shaun

January 29th, 2014 10:46pm

I'd like to add that with Service Manager 2012 R2 UR2 (7.5.3079.0 is what my 'About' says) this *does* appear to still be a problem, at least in my environment. I have to deal with this issue every day. It will either be an SR completing before production control can get to it to validate (manual activity), or in today's case there was a CR that went on to the implementation MA without the approval that preceded it.

I can't understand how a bug like this can be allowed to go on for so long - it looks like there were even several 'attempts' to correct it from previous releases.

September 30th, 2014 4:24pm

Service Manager 2012 R2  UR4 has fix for this issue. 

• Proposed as answer by RBANSALMS Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:53 AM
November 18th, 2014 3:47am

Running Service Manager 2012R2 UR4 and problem still persist.  The SR Templates my client is using do not have Activities associated, very basic.  Intermittently they will auto close without any intervention. 

Any workarounds or suggestions are appreciated.

February 24th, 2015 9:35pm

Hi,
if you do not have activities associated with the SR the status should be change to submitted and this is the correct behaviour.

February 26th, 2015 10:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics