SCSM - workflow for incoming emails

We have configured the exchange connector so that incident tickets are created based on incoming emails. This works. 

What we need is the following configuration for handling incoming emails: 

- If the title contains 'Incident', then create an incident ticket
- If the title contains 'Service Request', then create a service request ticket
- All others: create no ticket at all

How can we configure this correctly in SCSM? 

September 14th, 2015 7:31am

If afraid that this is just not possible with the Exchange Connectors.  The only properties that can be configured are which templates to apply for new or update emails and what keywords to look for in the subject line.  The keywords trigger an action like Resolving/Closing an Incident.  There is no way with the current connectors to create different types of work items from a set of criteria.

This might be possible through Orchestrator but it is a difficult proposition at best.

• Proposed as answer by Adam Dzak 15 hours 37 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 10:14am

The Exchange connector does not contain this type of logic. They are simply "dumb" when it comes to creating items from an email.

However, as foothill1 suggested this is possible through some heavy Orchestration although regardless of how it's configured it would never be a perfect solution - there would always be room for error (i.e. someone says "Inciden" or "svc request" etc. etc.)

But at a high level...
1. Set the Exchange Connector to always create Incidents from email
2. In Orchestrator, create a runbook that is constantly running with a "Monitor Object" that is looking for: New Incidents, with a source of Email
3. Fork from this point where the Title contains "incident" or "service request"
4. If it contains "Incident" - do nothing
5. If it contains "Service Request" either cancel or attach the Incident to a New Service Request
6. If it doesn't contain either of those, cancel the Incident

However, as I'm sure you'll notice here is that no matter what we're dealing with Work Items that have already been created. It's worth asking - is the reason behind your request a business requirement or technical requirement? Perhaps there is a better answer I/others could provide given your requirements? For example:

The way your question is phrased almost suggests you aren't used the [Work Item ID] in your subject so that the Exchange Connector keeps Incidents and Service Requests (respectively) up to date. Is there a particular reason this can't accomplish what you are after?

September 14th, 2015 11:50am

As stated above the Exchange Connector does not do this, but the portal does allow you to create an incident or create a service request. 

Also I would consider using two mailboxes and apply different templates to them that would trigger the Orchestrator steps outlined above. I would assume it is easier for users to choose between different mailboxes rather than remember to type keywords in the title.

Glen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 5:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics