SCOM to NOT monitor certain database instances

SCOM version: 2012 R2 RU3

Our SQL guys have gone out and purchased SpotLight and want to use it as the primary for monitoring and alerting on SQL at the database and instance level on "select" servers. So instead of SCOM monitoring, lets say all 6 databases on a SQL server, it monitors 3 and Foglight monitors the remaining 3.

I see where I have the ability to start maintenance mode on select databases and need to know if this is the preferred practice? If not what are my options.

Any responses appreciated.

February 18th, 2015 3:20pm

Phil, hi!

It depends on what you'd like to achieve. In case that you want to stop monitoring them temporarily than maintenance mode on DB level is a good way.

If you'd like to stop monitoring persistent and don't need the objects discovered you could disable the db discovery by override and run the following cmdletmin the Operations Manager shell:

Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance

Cheers,
Patrick

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 18th, 2015 3:30pm

Agree with Patrick
If you want to temp. disable the monitoring of certain DB instance, you can put this instance in Maintenance mode.
If you want to disable DB instance monitoring, you overrides the discovery rule of "Discover Databases for a Database Engine" with "Exclude List" set to DB instance, you want to disable monitoring. Then run Powershell cmdlet Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance to remove obsolete entity.

Roger

February 19th, 2015 5:28am

Awesome to know that this is possible. I'll take a chance on this and reply back with an update.

Thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 19th, 2015 3:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics