SCOM default config - APM enabled?

Hi all,

I'm noticing that APM appears to be enabled in my new SCOM 2012 SP1 environment.  This is a new setup, not very customized.  Is APM enabled by default?  Would the following configurations enable it?

• Management packs imported for SQL servers, File Services, Core OSs, Group Policy, AD, IIS
  • Management Pack Template > Process Monitoring instance to watch MonitoringHost.exe (whether running, min processes 1, max processes 15, duration 5 min, generate alert if CPU exceeds 50%, exceeded for 2 samples at 2 minute intervals)

That's all I can think of that would enable APM.  I'm assuming APM is enabled as we found a vendor using the 'Environment' value under the WAS service key in the registry, and when SCOM removed this value it broke their application (I'm going to request they not use a seemingly unsupported registry hack on a Microsoft service).

Is there any other innocuous step I might have performed that would have enabled APM inadvertently?  Would this key be changed by SCOM even if APM is not enabled?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated!

April 18th, 2013 3:19pm

The APM agent is part of the SCOM agent installation, however it should be DISABLED out of the box unless someone have explicitly enabled it through configuring ".NET Application Performance Monitoring" in the Authoring console.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/07/30/operations-manager-and-application-monitoring.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 18th, 2013 3:43pm

The APM agent is part of the SCOM agent installation, however it should be DISABLED out of the box unless someone have explicitly enabled it through configuring ".NET Application Performance Monitoring" in the Authoring console.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/07/30/operations-manager-and-application-monitoring.aspx

April 18th, 2013 3:43pm

Very strange.  That template has never been touched, the only template in use is 'Process Monitoring' with an instance configured to watch monitoringhost.exe.  Can't find any documentation on whether this enables APM, but APM is definitely trying to make changes.  We locked down the registry key on affected servers and I now get a SCOM alert telling me:

"The APM Agent has encountered an error while processing APM .NET Server-Side monitoring configuration. This could be caused by an agent problem or by incorrect or conflicting configuration or thresholds specified in multiple templates for the same application"

Is there something else that might have triggered the enabling of APM?

April 19th, 2013 5:01pm

Very strange.  That template has never been touched, the only template in use is 'Process Monitoring' with an instance configured to watch monitoringhost.exe.  Can't find any documentation on whether this enables APM, but APM is definitely trying to make changes.  We locked down the registry key on affected servers and I now get a SCOM alert telling me:

"The APM Agent has encountered an error while processing APM .NET Server-Side monitoring configuration. This could be caused by an agent problem or by incorrect or conflicting configuration or thresholds specified in multiple templates for the same application"

Is there something else that might have triggered the enabling of APM?

April 19th, 2013 5:01pm

Here is a link that describes the steps needed to setup apm http://damatisc.weebly.com/5/post/2012/12/scom-2012-apm-applicationperformancemonitor.html
April 21st, 2013 12:32am

Here is a link that describes the steps needed to setup apm http://damatisc.weebly.com/5/post/2012/12/scom-2012-apm-applicationperformancemonitor.html
April 21st, 2013 12:32am

I'm seeing the same issue. APM being detected even though I've never used the template to configure it. So I'm getting these bogus alerts as well.
June 1st, 2015 4:28pm

Same here. Never configured APM.

June 24th, 2015 1:04pm

Restart the Health service & the alert wil be on its way..!!!!!
September 3rd, 2015 6:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics