SCOM SQL Query Script Fail to generate alert (Two-State Timed Monitor)

Hi I am trying to execute below script in a two-state monitor for creating an alert based on SQL Query. but not getting any alert although the query executes fine if I check it using OLEDB Monitor in SCOM.

I am using unhealthy criteria to be:

Property[@Name='JobState'] equals FAIL

To trace, I am writing below textual status on a file D:\ABC\SCOMSCRIPT.TXT. and this file shows all the values correctly:

"CONNECTION OPENED.QUERY EXECUTED.FAIL.RETURNING oBag to SCOM."

But SCOM doesn't raise any alert in alerts section. Any help or idea:

Dim objCN, strConnection

Dim objAPI, oBag

Set objCN = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

Set objAPI = CreateObject("MOM.ScriptAPI")

Set oBag = objAPI.CreatePropertyBag()

strConnection = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=DB05.ABC.DE;Database=DBprod;Trusted_Connection=TRUE"

objCN.Open strConnection

Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

outFile="D:\ABC\SCOMSCRIPT.TXT"

Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(outFile,True)

objFile.Write "CONNECTION OPENED."

Dim strSQLQuery

strSQLQuery = "SELECT TOP 1 [joblogJobName], [job_definition_gkey], [execution_node], [scheduler_group_name], [job_start_date], [job_end_date], [job_execution_time],  [state], [note] FROM [DBprod].[dbo].[frm_job_log] where state='FAIL' order by job_end_date DESC"

Dim objRS

Set objRS=CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Set objRS = objCN.Execute(strSQLQuery)

objFile.Write "QUERY EXECUTED."

objFile.Write objRS.Fields("state") & "."

Call oBag.AddValue("JobState",objRS.Fields("state"))

objFile.Write "RETURNING oBag to SCOM."

objFile.Close

Call objAPI.Return(oBag)

objRS.Close

Thanks.

June 29th, 2015 8:04am

What happens when you run the script manually on a command prompt? Run it with:

cscript.exe myscript.vbs

Also note that the criteria is case sensitive, so if the SQL query returns "fail" and you're looking for "FAIL" it won't match up.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2015 11:41am

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I haven't try running the query on command prompt. Will do it and update the status here.

Regarding the case sensitivity, the SQL Query returns FAIL, and same is matched in the alert criteria.

Some snapshots for reference:

T

June 29th, 2015 12:23pm

Try to modify the following code with

Call oBag.AddValue("JobState",objRS.Fields("state"))

objFile.Close

if objRs.Fields("state")="FAIL" then
  Call oBag.AddValue("JobState","FAIL")
else
  Call oBag.AddValue("JobState","SUCCESS")
end if

objFile.Close

Roger

June 29th, 2015 11:34pm

Hi Roger,

I made the suggested change. and I can see in the log file that script is reaching inside the IF clause (which means objRS.fields('state') contains FAIL). but still the monitor doesn't raise any alert in the Active Alerts.

if objRs.Fields("state")="FAIL" then

objFile.Write "ENTERED IN IF CLAUSE"

Call oBag.AddValue("JobState","FAIL")

else

objFile.Write "ENTERED IN ELSE CLAUSE"

Call oBag.AddValue("JobState","SUCCESS")

end if

Thanks.

July 1st, 2015 4:02am

Hi Andyinsdca,

I tried to run the script manually on command prompt using cscript.exe XXXXXXXXXXSQLQuery1.vbs and below is the output:

PS C:\> cscript.exe .\XXXXXXXXXXSQLQuery1.vbs
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

<DataItem type="System.PropertyBagData" time="2015-07-01T11:54:32.3752875+04:00" sourceHealthServiceId="6A939022-3E9C-1F44-3A42-D4F044585687"><Property Name="JobName" VariantType="9">XXX_XXXX_XXXXX_2012-09-23 10:09:23_-183773828</Property
><Property Name="JobNode" VariantType="9">XXXXXXX-node1</Property><Property Name="JobGroup" VariantType="9">EDI</Property><Property Name="JobStartDate" VariantType="9">06/25/2015 05:15:12</Property><Property Name="JobEndDate" VariantTyp
e="9">06/25/2015 05:15:18</Property><Property Name="JobNote" VariantType="9">EdiJob "XXX_XXXX_XXXXX" Failed. Please refer XXX Batch : 426676 File extracted successfully but failed to send due to problem in communication. It will be sent i
n next successful extract.
Cannot load the given file 1435194912426XXX_XXXX_XXXXX.edi
</Property><Property Name="JobState" VariantType="8">FAIL</Property></DataItem>

Property JobState is getting the value FAIL. Is there anything I am missing in matching the criteria?

I cannot see any alert raising by the two-state monitor in SCOM.

If I open the health explorer of the targeted object, should it list the monitor there?

Regards.

July 1st, 2015 4:08am

Further checking
1) Make sure Generate alerts for this monitor is selected and Generate an alert when the monitor is in a Critical health state in Alerting tab
2) Open the health explorer of the object which contain the monitor and check the operational state of the monitor

3) Recalculate health of this monitor 

4) Try to change the Health state as Monitor condition healthy --> Critical and Unhealthy monitor condition --> critical  to see whether the monitor health state is change from healthy into critical

5) At last, try to modify the condition as Property[@Name='JobState'] contains FAIL

Roger 

July 1st, 2015 7:16am

Further checking
1) Make sure Generate alerts for this monitor is selected and Generate an alert when the monitor is in a Critical health state in Alerting tab
2) Open the health explorer of the object which contain the monitor and check the operational state of the monitor

3) Recalculate health of this monitor 

4) Try to change the Health state as Monitor condition healthy --> Critical and Unhealthy monitor condition --> critical  to see whether the monitor health state is change from healthy into critical

5) At last, try to modify the condition as Property[@Name='JobState'] contains FAIL

Roger 

July 1st, 2015 11:14am

Everything looks OK, and per System Center Guy, I am a big fan of his suggestion #5 to change it to CONTAINS instead of EQUALS; my experience has taught me that EQUALS never works, unless you're doing EQUALS (a number)
July 1st, 2015 12:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics