SCOM Management Server Installation Rolls back

Hello Experts,

One of my clients currently has a stable SCOM 2007 R2 environment with one RMS and two MS running on Windows 2003 64 bit. 

Now because we have the environment has grown, we decided to add an additional Management Server running Windows 2008 R2 SP1. When we install the Management Server role, the installation goes right up to the end and after Registering the Management Server (which appears in the SCOM console when we check from any other MS) the installation roles back.

I have checked and verified all the ports, there is no firewall, all the accounts and permissions are fine. When the installation fails, it throws an error saying "Check for the error corresponding to value 3" in the error log. The only error code we see is 1603 fatal error.

Upon troubleshooting this error, we found that it could be a problem with the media so we used different media instead nevertheless we receive the same error.

Can someone please assist me in fixing this issue.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

August 24th, 2013 6:31am

Hi,

You can refer to this article:

You receive an "error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation" error message when you try to install a Windows Installer package

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484/en-us

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2013 2:24am

In addition, you can also search for the word "return value 3" in the installation log file. The lines before this text could help you isolate the problem. I has helped me in the past :)

Regards,

Saravanan

August 26th, 2013 9:29am

Hello, 

I have tried all the options and also checked for return value 3. I am still facing the same issue.

I would like to add that we currently have SCOM 2007 R2 Cumulative Update 5 installed. Would that matter fi  we are trying to install a new Management Server? as the version might be different.

Please advise.

Regards,

August 30th, 2013 12:37pm

Make sure the person running the install has local admin and SA rights on the SQL Server and database where both the operationsmanagerdb and OperationsManagerDW are installed.
August 30th, 2013 3:58pm

Hello Rob,

Yes, the user has local admin rights on the new Server and SA right on the databases. 

I have verified this already :)

Regards,

Abdul Karim

August 30th, 2013 4:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics