SCOM 2012 SP1 Cisco Interface/Port Monitoring
Hey.

We are trying to finish our parallel rollout of SCOM 2012 (previously used 2007 R2 with xSNMP) and have ran into a snag with a port that goes to a T3 connecting two of our offices.

The device is a Cisco 7206 router (listed as Certified in the latest lists). SCOM sees the port and labels it IF-47 (stupidly) during discovery and rediscovery, but won't apply any type of performance monitoring on it. I could create the override to enable one but the only monitors it shows are three rollups (High Discard, High Error, and High Queue Drop percentages). We need to be able to monitor utilization like any other port on the router. Ironically, SCOM has added these monitors for disabled (admin-down) ports.

We have the other endpoint router in SCOM and have added the interface/port to the "Critical Network Adapters Group" but that only seems to monitor availability (up or down). So besides creating my own SNMP monitors from the Cisco OIDs needed, anyone know of a way to get this interface/port monitored for performance (i.e. utilization)?

One peculiarity, if I look at the monitors between this interface/port and another that has the perf monitors this one has "Network Adapter (Common)" whereas the one with the perf monitors shows "netcor cisco" of multiple fashions.

thanks!
March 13th, 2013 6:23pm

Hi,

Some monitors are disabled by default. For details about the monitors, please see the section Tuning Alerts for Network Monitoring in the following document:

Tuning Network Monitoring
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh282073.aspx

For utilization information, we can check the views:

Viewing Network Devices and Data in Operations Manager
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212706.aspx

In addition, I would like to share the following post about network monitoring:

What Gets Monitored with System Center Operations Manager 2012 Network Monitoring
http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/09/20/what-gets-monitored-with-system-center-operations-manager-2012-network-monitoring.aspx

Network Monitoring with System Center Operations Manager 2012
http://blogs.technet.com/b/ptsblog/archive/2011/11/28/network-monitoring-with-system-center-operations-manager-2012.aspx

Thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 15th, 2013 1:24pm

Hi Nicholas,

I've been through those links before. The "What Gets Monitored" link is where I found to add the port to the Critical Network Adapters Group (is this really only for NICs on a Windows machine?). Unfortunately, these don't really explain why the port isn't monitored with performance monitors nor how to go about getting the port monitored in this way when OM decides it shouldn't.

To reiterate in case I wasn't very clear before, we have a router that we need to monitor the port utilization on and SCOM doesn't think it should and doesn't apply the monitors to the port. We cannot override a monitor that doesn't exist to enable it.

thanks!
-Chris

March 18th, 2013 9:39pm

Just to follow-up to this, we've had a MS ticket open for some time on this and has been bounced around a few departments and many steps repeated, and it looks like it is a problem with something internal to SCOM but not sure yet on what it is. I'm kinda surprised no one else seems to have this issue. Lots of searching and nothing like this at all, even on here.

But that's where it is. And to actually monitor our network equipment we purchased SolarWinds and are using the NPM MP with SCOM 2012. The MP works most of the time but some holes that we might just have everything network-related handled by SW and not bother integrating into SCOM.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2013 11:28pm

We gave up. MS couldn't diag it well at all (remove the device for 48 hours and then try to add it again (this happened several times), or use this tool that doesn't support SP1, or let us get the logs again (for the eighth time). Monitoring for this device got worse after everything so can't use SCOM at all for it.

Wasted a lot of time and just ended up with using SolarWinds Orion/NPM for the network monitoring. We are also having problems with its MP so probably just going to have the two separate systems and not merge them together. Not much value-added with the MP anyway that you can't see in the SolarWinds web console.

No one else ever had problems with network devices not polling correctly or showing IFs right?

July 1st, 2013 9:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics