SCOM 2012 SMS Alerts

Hi

I have scom 2012 on 3 virtual boxes, 2 MS and one SQL/SSRS with esx4.1 and on blades, there is no USB available. I have a requirement for SMS alerts. From what I recall in SCOM 2007 the RMS was responsible for notifications, so if I were to make a box physical to plug a modem into, this would be the one. But in scom 2012 either box can send notifications. Obviously making both boxes physical has its pros and cons.

Has anyone got any ideas on what products to use to send SMS's. Or how to force one MS to be responsible for SMS alerts? I just need a working SMS solution, first prize would be to not have to make any machines physical.

Please assist

August 20th, 2012 9:34am

Hi

In SCOM 2012 there is a Notifications Resource Pool - add the Management Server with the modem attached to that Resource Pool.

By default this includes all management servers but you can mark the resource pool for manual memebership and control it that way. More details here:

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/tabid/143/indexid/94722/default.aspx

Cheers

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2012 11:32am

For the first prize thing you could check for a software type of solution. Or attach the modem to another physical machine and issue commands through a script from the management servers. You are likely to find several solutions cheap and expensive for sending out SMS. A more extensive solution for instance is Derdack Enterprise alert, with loads of possibilities in notifications. All depends on what you need.

Like Graham said, you could limit the resource pool doing the alerting to just one management server and only have that one send alerts (con is of course that that piece will be a single point of failure again) and have that MS have the modem attached.

August 21st, 2012 9:34am

Thanks for the response guys.

Makes perfect sense about the resource pool! Thanks a stack!

August 21st, 2012 9:39am

plz advice the answers , your provided link is not working.
August 18th, 2013 1:17pm

It seems some of the links on SystemCenterCentral have changed with the last change to a new platform.

Anyway here is the link which was referred to:

http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2012/07/24/automatic-and-manual-resource-pools-in-operations-manager-2012-scom-sysctr.aspx

August 18th, 2013 4:44pm

If anyone is looking for an alternative method for SMS and/or voice calls from Operations Manager without the need for a modem (just internet connection and web service access), I posted a solution you might find helpful: SMS / Voice Notifications with PowerShell, System Center Operations Manager and Twilio

Hope it helps.

Noah

February 26th, 2015 5:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics