SCOM 2012 Performance Widget Dashboard Scale not always consistent

When we create a Performance widget in a Dashboard view, we can't seem to get it to display only the Raw performance data. What happens is that the values are scaled to an unknown value. The scale seems to be different each time the graph is drawn. We have the Time Range set to 24 hours. Changing the Vertical Axis Limit does not allow us to control the scaling either. It actually gets worse when we set it to automatic so we are about to give up on using this type of dashboard. 

Is there a registry hack or setting that we can change in order to force the Performance Dashboard widget to return only Raw data? 

I found a nice write up from Chris Harris that explains how the data is returned, but it does not mention how the scale is determined. That article is here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/10/04/widgets-performance-widget.aspx

I would greatly appreciate any advice or help in identifying how this dashboard is designed!

• Edited by SCOM-Guy Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:39 PM Added more detail
January 14th, 2015 9:38pm

Hi,

If the time range is less than 100 hours the widget will show raw data from the data warehouse

If the time range is between 100 hours and 100 days the widget will show hourly aggregated data

If the time range is greater than 100 days the widget will show daily aggregated data

How about slect time range as 2 or hours or you may try using performance view instead of dashboard to view specific performance counters.

In addition, hope the links below be helpful for you:

Operations Manager 2012 Dashboards The Performance Widget

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/10/04/widgets-performance-widget.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2015 8:05am

Yan Li, 

Greatly appreciate your post. I actually linked to the exact same article that you referenced. In it Chris explains everything that you and I mentioned. Basically I should be able to ALWAYS return raw data if I choose the graphing period as less than 100 hours. That doesn't actually happen. With large amounts of Perf Data, say 204 Web Application Transactions, it will scale every time a Performance Dashboard is drawn. That is accurate even if I choose the graphing period as 24 hours. The reason I would suspect is that each Perf graph is trying to be converted to just 100 points as Chris outlines in your link above. When it goes through that conversion process, the graph is then scaled but at what value? In practice, that value is chosen at the time the graph is drawn and seems to be very random. What I have seen is anywhere from 0.337 to 0.456.

Again, I appreciate your response, but I am looking for a way to force these Performance Dashboard Widgets to give Raw data every time they are drawn, not a scaled value that is dynamic. Well... honestly a scaled value would be ok as long as we could either control it or know what it will be... but that is impossible with the way that SCOM handles it as of now. 

I did try to email Chris Harris from the link you and I provided and he did not respond back. If you know of someone on the Operations Manager team (MOMTeam) that might be able to look into how these Perf Dashboard widgets are drawn, I would like to ask them this question.

Thanks again! 

January 28th, 2015 8:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics