SCOM 2012 Override State Change and Notification Spam

Hello everyone,

This weekend my team's inboxes were filled with dozens of emails from SCOM. The state of the monitored disk keeps changing between OK and Critical every 900 seconds (15 minutes - the value of "IntervalSeconds" in the override). Can someone help explain this behavior? I would assume that every 15 minutes SCOM would re-evaluate the monitor's status and change it if the threshold was no longer breached. Instead it appears SCOM is changing the monitor's status regardless of the monitor's value and how it compares to the threshold.

The value of the override is set to go critical when the disk is <5GB, and the current value is around 2.5GB so I would expect to get a single email and see a single state change.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by nickzourdos Monday, February 09, 2015 2:47 PM
February 9th, 2015 5:45pm

Is this a custom monitor you did yourself? What does health explorer look like? This smells like a monitor that's been targeted incorrectly. For example,you have 2 drives on a system, C: with 1GB free and E: with 100GB free. The monitor runs, sees C: with 1GB free, goes crit. Next poll, sees E: goes Normal. Next poll, gets the C: and goes crit. Rinse, repeat.

Go Wings!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 9th, 2015 8:06pm

This is an override for "Windows Server 2012 Logical Disk Free Space (MB) Low" monitor. Health Explorer has this monitor listed under Availability for both C:\ and E:\ (good guess on the drive letters), but only E:\ has state changes. This matches the notifications we have been receiving. State changes are happening every 15 minutes, and sometimes the monitor will go Critical -> Normal  then Normal -> Critical instantly. This creates two state change events with the same time stamp.

• Edited by nickzourdos Monday, February 09, 2015 9:51 PM
February 9th, 2015 9:06pm

What is the override value of Error Threshold for Non-system Disk and Warning Threshold for Non-system Disk in Windows Server 2012 Logical Disk Free Space(MB) Low? Make sure that Non-system Disk and Warning Threshold for Non-system Disk should be greater than Error Threshold for Non-system Disk

Roger

• Marked as answer by nickzourdos 21 hours 56 minutes ago
February 10th, 2015 5:50am

Can you check Jonathan's Blog for a similar issue 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonathanalmquist/archive/2009/04/04/logical-disk-free-space-monitor.aspx

I would also suggest you to login to the server and check if there is any application messing the disk space and clearing it every 15 min or so. As i ran in a similar issue like this.

Is this for only one agent or all the ag

February 10th, 2015 8:53am

Hi Roger,

I am not currently overriding the Warning Threshold, and it was set to 2GB (lower than the Error threshold). I will change it and see how SCOM reacts.

Thank you!

- Nick

February 10th, 2015 4:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics