SCOM 2012 Collecting experiences wiht a SCOM 2012 Distributed deployment

Hi all,

I'm a piloting a process of SCOM implementantion on a distributed archictecture. I have more than 500 servers in 30 different countries in SA, EU, AP, NA. I have a good speed link between them (more than 4mpbs).

My main objective is to have a central dashboard with information related to alerts, performance, SLA from all regions,consolidated view or reporting.  can you input some comments about your experience on SCOM 2012 ? if I have only 1 MG monitoring 5 regions with more than 500 servers needing different management packs, different network rules (600 Network devices), different notification rules. 

November 19th, 2013 11:38am

The key resource to focus on is connectivity between your management servers and database server. Ideally they are all local to one another. Be sure to size your SQL database properly - its all about IO.

Agents at remote sights can connect directly if you have the proper domain model or via gateways if they are untrusted.

The 600 network devices will necessitate a dedicated pool of management servers for performance. Otherwise, you will be fine.  

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2013 11:54am

We have only 1 florest with 5 domains.

in your comment, you suggest using gateways on a untrusted, even with a trusted connection between domain the best option is not use a gateway? I realized that using gateway server the package compression is much better than when the agent sends individually information directly to management server, at least on monitoring traffic results.

November 19th, 2013 12:04pm

If they are trusted, you can have them report directly - 4Mbps is adequate. The compression is not that significant for small numbers of servers. If you had a thousand at one remote site, I'd recommend using the GW even if they were trusted.  

November 19th, 2013 12:07pm

thank you for your comments.

but do you think that using a only one Management Group should be totally viable when I have several different Administrators based on regions connecting on the same MG?
I guess that with a good documentation related to naming convention on creating a Groups, User Roles, Profiles, with a good delegation task permission, do you think that should be enough on this architecture?

November 19th, 2013 12:16pm

Absolutely. You can utilize user roles to control what remote administrators have access to.
November 19th, 2013 12:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics