SCOM 2012 Agent instalaltion fails with error 25211. Failed to install performance counters.. Error Code: -2147024809 (

Hello......

We are deploying the scom 2012 agents on management server running on windows 2008 and Opsmgr 2007R2.

Most of the agents are getting updated with out any errors, however on few agents installation is failing with errors

>> Product: Microsoft Monitoring Agent -- Error 25211.Failed to install performance counters.. Error Code: -2147024809 (The parameter is incorrect.).

>> Product: Microsoft Monitoring Agent -- Error 25211.Failed to install performance counters.. Error Code: -2147024864 (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.).

Can you please help us to fix the issue.

November 28th, 2013 1:05pm

Hi Harish,

The .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed on servers, which you are getting errors for. Restart is required after the installation.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2013 3:51am

Hi, also see the following

1. http://michelkamp.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/hey-scom-agent-just-install-your-self-please/

2. logs of agent installation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2566152

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/qa-log.html

November 29th, 2013 12:21pm

Hi,

The below command helped me overcome this issue,

msiexe /i momagent.msi NOAPM=1

hope it does help you too..

Regards,

Saravanan

November 29th, 2013 2:40pm

Hello Natalya,

.NET Framework 3.5 Sp1 is already installed on the systems.

but still getting the same error.

Regards

Harish TN

November 29th, 2013 2:52pm

Hello Saravanan,

Thank you....

NOAPM=1 worked on Windows 2008 agents.

however getting the same error on win2k3 agents, any workaround for win2k3 ?

December 5th, 2013 9:35am

the issue actually lies with how the Ops Manager Event Log registry key for the Event Viewer displays. So in SCOM 2012 SP1 the key displays as

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\OPERATIONS MANAGER

in SCOM 2012 R2 is shows as 

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Operations Manager

Anyway when the old agent uninstalls it doesnt completely clear this key and it locks it. So the new installer cannot update or modify it. The solution is to delete the old key and run the installer again (DO NOT USE THE NOAPM=1) as you normally would (even from the console) and the agent will install.

December 9th, 2013 5:17am

thanks to Scripting Guy I created this to delete the registry key entry (I did not test if this was case sensitive so please be careful)

pushd;sl HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog; if(test-path "OPERATIONS MANAGER"){remove-item "OPERATIONS MANAGER"}ELSE{"OPERATIONS MANAGER does not exist"};popd

or if WinRM is enabled on your servers, you can create a servers.txt file with the offending server names (obviously change the folder location mine is at c"\temp) and add your domain admin account in place of DOMAIN\ADMIN

invoke-command -cn (cat c:\temp\servers.txt) -credential DOMAIN\ADMIN {pushd;sl HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog; if(test-path "OPERATIONS MANAGER"){remove-item "OPERATIONS MANAGER"}ELSE{"OPERATIONS MANAGER does not exist"};popd}

I've had varying results with 2003 Agents but 2008 onward seem ok. PLEASE TEST THIS FIRST! I dont want to see people delete parts of the registry by mistake, especially your event logs!

December 9th, 2013 5:45am

Thanks Worked in Windows Server 2012 R2
April 27th, 2014 7:11am

This worked for me

How to manually rebuild Performance Counters for Windows Server 2008 64bit or Windows Server 2008 R2 systems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2554336

July 28th, 2014 1:08am

Thank you
September 26th, 2014 5:10am

Hey Harish,

If you having these problems, 99% of the time this fix works for me. First check to see in the Application Log if you have any 3012 errors:

The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

If you put that string into Google you will get the article below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775053(v=ws.10).aspx

Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories.

Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type lodctr /r, and then press ENTER.

Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type typeperf -qx and press ENTER.

Verify that the performance counter list contains expected values.

Once you have run lodctr /r and have used typeperf -qx to check, you should be to install. No reboot required.

November 20th, 2014 10:46am

i suggest not to use this swith, as it would be impossible later to apply Update Rollup's, they will fail without APM.
September 3rd, 2015 6:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics