SCOM 2007: Availability Report showing 100% down time for some of the servers

Hi,

We have SCOM 2007 R2. When we are running the Availability Report through SCOM Console -> Reporting, It has been showing 100% down time for some of the servers. When we check the servers, either they had < 1% or 0% down time. We have been facing this issue.

Please provide a solution/work around to get the correct down time for all the severs. Let me know if you need more information/details.

Thanks,

Naren.

October 30th, 2012 12:16pm

Hi Naren

What object are you adding to the report? The windows computer object? If so, then this will report the health state availability of the servers and I suspect if you look in the main scom console under monitoring, windows computers, that you'll see these computers are unhealthy.

Try adding the health service watcher object instead (it has the glasses \ spectacles icon) - this is the availability from its management servers perspective.

Alternatively, add the health service object itself.

EDIT:

Also check the settings for what you consider downtime:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vincentbellet_fr/archive/2009/09/28/scom-2007-availability-report-downtime-reference-matrix.aspx

Customising Availability reports

http://blogs.technet.com/b/emreguclu/archive/2011/10/13/using-linked-reports-in-scom-to-create-custom-availability-reports-for-specified-monitors.aspx

Cheers

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2012 12:37pm

Hi Graham,

When I tried to remove the servers and added 2 servers, the servers were not removed, but got added. While saving the report, I got the below error. Please help me what needs to be done on Reporting Server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 10/30/2012 8:04:27 AM
Application: System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
Application Version: 6.1.7221.0
Severity: Error

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Exception: For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ReportingService.ReportingService2005.SetSubscriptionProperties(String SubscriptionID, ExtensionSettings ExtensionSettings, String Description, String EventType, String MatchData, ParameterValue[] Parameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ManagementGroupReporting.SetSubscription(ManagementGroupReport report, ManagementGroupReportSubscription subscription, String description, String deliveryMethod, IDictionary`2 deliveryOptions, ScheduleDefinition schedule, IDictionary`2 reportParameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ManagementGroupReporting.UpdateSubscription(ManagementGroupReportSubscription subscription, String description, String deliveryMethod, IDictionary`2 deliveryOptions, ScheduleDefinition schedule, IDictionary`2 reportParameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.Wizards.Schedule.ReportSubscriptionProgressPage.BackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Naren.

• Edited by NarenSV Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:09 PM
October 30th, 2012 1:08pm

Hi Graham,

When I tried to remove the servers and added 2 servers, the servers were not removed, but got added. While saving the report, I got the below error. Please help me what needs to be done on Reporting Server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Exception: For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ReportingService.ReportingService2005.SetSubscriptionProperties(String SubscriptionID, ExtensionSettings ExtensionSettings, String Description, String EventType, String MatchData, ParameterValue[] Parameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ManagementGroupReporting.SetSubscription(ManagementGroupReport report, ManagementGroupReportSubscription subscription, String description, String deliveryMethod, IDictionary`2 deliveryOptions, ScheduleDefinition schedule, IDictionary`2 reportParameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ManagementGroupReporting.UpdateSubscription(ManagementGroupReportSubscription subscription, String description, String deliveryMethod, IDictionary`2 deliveryOptions, ScheduleDefinition schedule, IDictionary`2 reportParameters)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.Wizards.Schedule.ReportSubscriptionProgressPage.BackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Naren.

October 30th, 2012 1:08pm

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the details. Yes, the objects were added as Windows Servers/Computers. I tried for 3 servers and seems to be working fine. I am changing for the rest of the servers also. Once that is done, will confirm you.

Regards,

Naren.

October 30th, 2012 2:48pm

Hi Graham,

Thanks,

Naren.

October 30th, 2012 4:08pm

Hi

How many servers did you try and remove? It might be worth doing in stages. The error is:

ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.

So check for space within the reportserver database - is it set to autogrow? Check the size of the transaction log as well as the data file.

You might find it as quick to delete the subscription and recreate it rather than too much troubleshooting.

Cheers

Graham

October 30th, 2012 4:32pm

Hi Graham,

I tried by removing only one server also. Still getting the above mentioned error. To recreate, it would be a tedious job as we had 450+ servers (objects) in the existing report. If there is no other alternative, I would go with your suggestion to recreate another report. Please review the below and suggest any other alternative. Just before replying to this also I tried to remove and got the same error.

Here is the response from our DB team: 

Growth Set to : Unrestricted growth.

LOG file : Only 7.14% log space used.

Data file have enough free space.

Thanks,

Naren.

November 5th, 2012 5:59pm

Hi,

I am still not getting the Availability report properly even after changing the component to Health Watcher Service as mentioned. I could not find this for cluster node servers. Which component needs to be selected for Cluster node servers?

In the scheduled report we had selected "Monitoring unavailable", "Unplanned Maintenance" & "Unmonitored" under Down Time, in the parameters screen.

-

March 21st, 2013 2:51pm

Hello,

I am using SCOM 2012, and been asked to provide an availability report of our servers. Could you please tell me if you found a solution for this please?

PS: Facing the same problems as mentioned above

Re

May 7th, 2013 6:19pm

I think the first thing to figure out is, what do you want to show availability of? If it's simply Windows Computer (or typed Windows Computer), then adding a group of Windows Computer objects to the report will work fine. The report automatically takes the top-level rollup of the object, so any monitors targeting that objects Availability Health aggregate will rollup in the report. This would be true for any type of object that you include in the group specified in the report parameters.

If you happen to be getting weird results, like some computers showing up unavailable when they are actually available, the report isn't at fault. The problem may be the data in the warehouse is incorrect for some reason.

May 8th, 2013 9:24pm

Hi Jonathan,

I want to pull the availability report for all the windows computer in my SCOM environment. I am unable to get the exact server DOWN time. {Agent greyed out and server is down}

(Need Actual server down time not Health service unavailability and critical state)

Is there any way to pull a report for this ?

January 3rd, 2014 1:33pm

There should be a "downtime criteria" selection box in the availability report parameter section, where you can select which health states to consider as downtime for the windows computer objects. If you do not want "health service outage" included in your downtime report, then make sure that option is not selected.

True windows computer downtime is not really obtainable - the closest you will get to this is looking at the "health service unavailable" and/or "computer not reachable" monitor states, which target the health service class, which is not hosted by windows computer - this is why it is necessary to create health service watcher groups to include in notification criteria for these monitors.

So, I think the report you may be looking for will not include windows computer objects, but health service objects.

I don't recall ever having to create a report like that, but I suppose that's what I would do in your situation...

January 4th, 2014 12:04am

Hi Naren,

I am also facing the same issue whatever you faced. Please share me if you got solution for this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajesh

December 5th, 2014 1:42pm

Hi Rajesh,

The optimum solution for this is to remove those servers from the report and add them again by selecting the Health Watcher Icon (looks like spectacles symbol).

That resolved the situation as a work around. It my not work for Clustering servers.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Naren.

February 4th, 2015 5:16pm

Hi,

Refer the below link, it would resolve your query.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2008/06/26/the-power-of-linked-reports.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/emreguclu/archive/2011/10/13/using-linked-reports-in-scom-to-create-custom-availability-reports-for-specified-monitors.aspx 

August 4th, 2015 12:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics