SCOM2012R2 Custom Performance Counter for SQL

the SQL MP did not come with a performance counter for Database Pages. I created a new one to query using SQL for a custom dashboard. But found that for servers with multiple instances of SQL, I get the same value for each instance. I tested this again with the builtin Counter SQL DB Engine: Buffer Manager - Page Life Expectancy and found that it gets different readings for each instance. I have enabled include all instances in the performance counter I created - SQLServer:Buffer Manager - Database Pages.

Has anyone had something similar with a custom created PerfMon ?

July 21st, 2015 4:58am

What did you use for the target for the monitor?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2015 12:38pm

bump on what Andy asks, what is the target for your monitor? if the perf collection is targeting the incorrect target, that can cause problems as well, like targeting the Windows Server OS, instead of the SQL DB Engine could cause problems.

What did PerfMon show on that box?
When a perf collection is not showing proper data, or data that I was not expecting, the first thing I do is run Perfmon on the box that gave me those results to make sure that the perf counters are actually working, b/c sometimes they do not always work and sometimes need to be reinstalled or re-initialized.

hope this helps!

July 21st, 2015 3:09pm

SQL DB Engine
July 22nd, 2015 2:54am

Hi, I used SQL DB Engine Core Library as a Target - When going to one of the SQL boxes, i found in perfmon that the Database Pages was still collecting the same results for all instances of the server.

July 22nd, 2015 2:55am

You target is correct. you may consider the instance as $Target/property[Type="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQL.Server.SeverRole"]/InstanceName$

Roger

July 22nd, 2015 4:23am

Hi Roger, I used the string but now i get no results back on the counter. 
July 23rd, 2015 7:26am

Did you mean SQL DB Engine?
August 3rd, 2015 11:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics