SCCM 2012 DB servers showing as Not Monitored

Hi,

SCCM 2012 MP version 5.0.7804.1000 on SCOM 2012 SP1.

SCCM database servers are showing as not monitored. I can see three entries in Servers and Site System Roles. SCOM has successfully discovered entry for each SQL node and the SQL cluster name, however they are not monitored.

Checked documentation/online forums/blogs, but couldn't figure out.

1. All gents are running as Local System
  2. Proxy enabled on all servers
  3. All rules/monitors/discovery are currently default settings.
  4. Recycled SCOM Agent on these nodes, with no luck.
  5. Do the Run As Account need some permissions? Which one and what permissions?

October 14th, 2014 8:33am

Hi,

Please refer to the SQLServerMPGuide.doc

System Center Management Pack for SQL Server

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10631

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 15th, 2014 2:30am

It seems that the SQL monitoring rules do not deploy to SQL server. This is due to the default action account has no privilege in deploying the monitoring rule into server, you should consider assign account which has SQL server privilege into SQL MP has SQL monitoring Account profile.  For detail, pls. refer to

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2013/10/24/opsmgr-sql-mp-version-6-4-1-0-capabilities-and-configuration.aspx

Roger

October 15th, 2014 6:18am

SQL MP is already imported and the SQL server is monitored including it's database. The problem I'm facing and describing here is that Servers and Site System Roles state view under Monitoring -> System Center 2012 Configuration Manager has entries for ConfigMgr site database server and tehy are showing as Not Monitored.
October 15th, 2014 6:52am

Any suggestion guys?
October 17th, 2014 12:36pm

Hi Harry,

Open the health state\health explorer for one of "Not monitored" servers from the mentioned "Servers and Site System Roles" menu, check monitors and their overrides:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/hh212697.as

October 18th, 2014 4:50am

The SCCM 2012 Management Pack did not support low privilege accounts, so this means the SCOM Agent on the SCCM 2012 server MUST be running as Local System, and not with a service account.

http://msandbu.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/monitoring-sccm-2012-via-scom-2012/

Also check if you have Antivirus that you allow SCOM Application and ports in exception rule. Try to disable antivirus and check if you can monitor using SCOM.

October 19th, 2014 8:53am

Any more suggestion guys?

I've enabled all monitors targeted to CongifMgr Site Database Server(Site SQL Backup Service Monitor and SQL Writer Service Availability Monitor). When I open the Health explorer, all monitors show as greyed out. However if I open the server for Base OS or SQL, it shows all counters as Healthy.

I also ran the default report, Site Database Server availability report, however it doesn't show any data. This report only gives filtered options, so targeting is not a problem.

December 8th, 2014 3:38pm

Did you get anywhere with this?

I have the exact same issue.

January 7th, 2015 11:28am

No, unfortunately no solution is available in public domain. May be I'll raise a case with MS.

Will keep this thread updated.

January 7th, 2015 12:10pm

Hi Krishna,

My suggestion would be is to test the permissions on the SQL server by using a .UDL File to see if your action account has permissions on the SQL Server application.

Login to the SCOM Server using the Action account and in the desktop or any where create a new notepad file and change the extention of the .txt to .Udl

Post changing this to .UDL file this will become a mini SQL Management studio.

Now enter the SQL server name where the SMS Site database is located and select windows authentication and select the option test connection or connect.

Now you must get the popup test connection is a success.

Post the results to investigate further.

January 11th, 2015 8:24am

After 3 months of case with Microsoft Premiere Support and 3 support technicians, MS responds:

I have received the answer from the Product Group after reviewing the Management Pack. 
They have confirmed my findings  the fact that the current ConfigMgr MP does not support the Site Database on a clustered SQL server. 

The reason is that this setup was not taken into account by the ConfigMgr Product Group when the MP was written. 
They did however say that they will take this up for consideration for the next version of the MP (no release date for it yet however ). 
April 23rd, 2015 3:32am

Hi Harry,

Thank you for the followup and update. Really useful.

April 23rd, 2015 4:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics