SBS or Server 2008 R2?
I'm planning to install new servers for my company. I need to choose SBS with 2 different hardwares or Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-v. I will use Exchange Server, SQL Server and some special applications on server. Which one is good for me? I have nearly 50 users on entire domain. Yours Sinceraly
February 15th, 2011 7:04am

Hello, you can not run 2 SBS servers in one domain, as a SBS server MUST have the FSMO roles, that is by design. The 50 user accounts are fine as SBS has 75 as maximum limit. If you like to use Hyper-V then use Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition, this will allow up to 4 Virtual machines running on the host(ONLY with HYPER-V role installed, NOTHING ELSE) with the already bought license. So in total you can install a total of servers, choose one as DC, one as Exchange, one as SQL and a fourth as Application server. As it is recommended to have at least 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain you have to buy one additional license for the second D, if possible use a another machine, maybe physical(can even be an older one). Which option you choose belongs to your available budget, but keep in mind that you have to plan a good backup strategy, even with 2 physical machines.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 15th, 2011 7:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics