SBS 2011 - server crashing with no logged events
I have a client with a server that had a major power issues which caused the 4 RAID driver to all die at once as well as the DVD. I replaced the drives, re-created the RAID and restored the server. However, the server keeps crashing 1-4 times per day with no logging done in the event viewer other than when it starts back up and tells me that it was rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. I have since replaced every component in the server except for the Adaptec RAID controller; mobo, cpu, ram, disk drives, dvd, PSU, PSU cage, as well as the UPS. But it still crashes every day. Is there anything that I can do in Windows to see if it could be something that the server does? The Kernel-Power event (41) has all the parameters as 0, which would indicate that the power cord was unplugged, but that is not the case and I have replaced the UPS as well. I am now looking to replace the RAID controller, but after talking to Adaptec several time and sending them the log files from the controller, they are quite sure that the controller is not causing the reboots. Once the server reboots it start back up normally and everything is back to normal after 4-5 minutes. Any help or things to test for would be great. Many thanks Arvid
September 11th, 2012 11:38pm

Just to give you some more h/w info. Intel S5520HC motherboard, with latest firmware Adaptec 6850 RAID controller 4-disks RAID-5 3 x 4GB DDR3 ECC RAM Xeon E5620 CPU Intel RMM3 - Remote management board 2 x 600 watt Intel PSU's 1 x HP G1500 G3 UPS running at 15% capacity SBS 2011 with all the latest updates, Excahgen 2010 SP2 with rollup 4 20-computers on the network I have run RAM tests for many hours. I ran CPU / RAM stress test over the weekend and the server did not crash till Monday morning around 9am, then at 10:30am and then fine till Tuesday when it all started again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2012 11:55pm

Check the below KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 Thanks
September 12th, 2012 2:19am

I have re-posted this in the Small Business Server forum.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2012 2:23am

Yes I have read this kb before, but it does not help as there is no one there that holds the power button when the computer is locked up.
September 12th, 2012 6:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics