SBS 2008 Folder redirection - XP users delete files from desktop - files deleted immediately
Hello allI did not found an SBS 2008 specific place, so I will post this here.We have set up an SBS 2008 with Folder Redirection enabled for Desktop and MyDocuments. We have XP (SP2 and SP3) and Vista clients. The XPclients cannot move any file only from Desktop to the Recycle Bin. The file is deleted immediately. Files that have been deleted from My Documentsstay in the Recycle Bin. This happens only in XP machines and not in Vista.How can we avoid that?Thanks in advanceKostas
July 6th, 2009 5:16pm

Hi Kostas, Thank you for your post. This is a by design behavior -- it is the way Recycle Bin API works in Windows XP. In Windows XP, only My Documents has Recycle Bin support when redirected to a network share. Microsoft changes this behavior in Windows Vista. Therefore, you do not encounter the same issue in Windows Vista. By the way, you can check the following link for the SBS2008 Newsgroup if you need assistance on SBS2008 in the future: https://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8333&wa=wsignin1.0 Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2009 8:40am

Thanks for the answer. There is no way to bypass it? Kostas
July 7th, 2009 5:43pm

Hi Kostas, Thank you for your reply. As far as I know, there is no workaround for this behavior in Windows XP. Thank you for your understanding.
July 8th, 2009 8:58am

Just came up with a way around this issue. Perform the steps belowon the workstation.1) With My Documents redirection enabled, create a new folder in the users My Documents folder called Desktop.2) Download & install the TweakUI Powertoy.3)In TweakUIgo toMy Computer -> Special Folders.4) Choose "Desktop" from the dropdown menu & rediredt it to the newly created Desktop folder in the users redirected My Documents folder.5) Logoff & logon.Since the desktop folder now lives in the synched & recycle bin enabled My Documents folder, it is too! If you're afraid that your user might mess with the folder & hork up your "custom" setup, just hide the folder.
August 11th, 2009 11:23pm

Very good idea! I will use it in the future. For now Ive just instructed the users for not having anything useful in their desktop. Thanks Kostas Backas
August 19th, 2009 11:25am

Just came up with a way around this issue. Perform the steps below on the workstation. 1) With My Documents redirection enabled, create a new folder in the users My Documents folder called Desktop. 2) Download & install the TweakUI Powertoy. 3) In TweakUI go to My Computer -> Special Folders. 4) Choose "Desktop" from the dropdown menu & rediredt it to the newly created Desktop folder in the users redirected My Documents folder. 5) Logoff & logon. Since the desktop folder now lives in the synched & recycle bin enabled My Documents folder, it is too! If you're afraid that your user might mess with the folder & hork up your "custom" setup, just hide the folder. Sorry to revive an old thread, but is there any way to replicate these settings via Group Policy?
March 3rd, 2011 1:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics