SBS 2003 Drive conflict with USB = data loss
Hi all I have a server that has been rebooted. It had a usb drive of 500GB enclosure still attached to it. When it rebooted it now tell me that the D drive (data drive) needs formatted. This is where all my data should be but has now gone. The Data drive enclosure still appears to be the F drive. Can anyone tell me what has happened and how can I recover my data Please.
January 25th, 2011 1:11pm

Hello, if you use another computer can you add the drive there and see the data? Hopefully you have a backup, in case the drive is broken.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 25th, 2011 1:23pm

This can be due to the corrupt file system. Please run the chkdsk and see if it solves. If it doesnt solves remove the drive from the server and try connecting to the other pc and see if it helps. In addition to that you may also change the cable and give try. If all the above doesnt works then please use a third party software called Partition Table Doctor http://www.ptdd.com/ Thanks
January 25th, 2011 1:25pm

paid $190 for the Master Server Edition to no avail. (in the past I have used the 3.5 version on XP which works wonders) Hoever the MSE version does not seem to have the same options. and support via email is taking to long. Thanks for you suggestions. Rob
January 25th, 2011 1:46pm

I am in the process of taking an image of the drive (shadowprotect) including the free space in order to apply it to a new drive and see if I can recover anything that way. Please feel free to tell me I am waisting my time. Rob
January 25th, 2011 1:49pm

Hello, what about the still not answered questions?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 25th, 2011 4:04pm

Hi sorry for the delay. I did not have another PC to add the SAS drives to. It turns out the Data was still on the drive but the boot record was gone. I was sure the files were still there. I did not want to jump in and try to repair the drive incase I made the situation worse. I took an off line image of the drive (including blank sectors) with Shadowprotect and restored that to a new 500GB laptop drive. I then used Getbackdata to recover the files to yet another drive which worked. Took a long time to recover that 120Gb of data. Once I recovered the data I went back to my old version PTDD 3.5 from EASEUS installed this on the server and it fixed the drive in seconds. Initialy I used the boot disk from the PTDD software but this did not work and later discovered that it is not compatible with raids in that mode. I did not use the my PTDD software at the start because a)I thought it was only licenced for my laptop. b)Did not think it was comptible with the raid because of the boot disk errors. c) Thought I had to purchase the new version which seemed to point me in the direction of the expensive product mentioned earlier in my post. The old PTDD is not sold anymore. Now if I had installed the PTDD onto my server straight away I would have fixed the issue in seconds and saved my self from working so long to recover the data. I did have backups but not of everything. The ironic thing is I added an external USB drive in order to take a backup image of the whole system. Installed the software on a Sunday night. Connected the drive on the Monday, got a call from user at 7:15 am saying they could not access the P drive (mapped Drive). rebooted the server whilst the external drive was attached and when it came back on line the D drive (actual drive in server) was asking to be formatted. I can only assume that the external drive confused the server drive some how and caused the error. Although I used the Server Disk Management console to formatt the drive and apply the drive letter of F:? Confused! me too. Rob
January 27th, 2011 7:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics