SBS 2003 - tidying up share permissions
I'm been asked to tidy up the share permissions on an SBS 2003 server which has been set up by various user administrators along the way. All users have a shared folder mounted as a network drive on their desktops. They have access to all the folders and sub-folders in this share, but the permissions have been granted in an ad-hoc way, some via groups, some by giving individual permissions, and some by straight-forward inheritance. What I'd like to do is set up the permissions via a single group (e.g. office) which can be applied to the shared folder, add all permitted users to this group and then remove all the previous groups and shares (excepting critical admin and domain rights) I'd prefer not to work through every folder by hand to remove the old permissions and to inherit the new permissions - is there a simpler way of doing this? After I've done that, I want to exclude two folders in this share from the user group I added above, and then just allow a specific group to access each folder (e.g. only finance group have access to the finance folder and only HR groups have access to the personnel folder. Users in the finance and HR groups will also be in the office group. Am I correct to turn off inheritance in the finance and HR folders and then just add the appropriate group to the folder permissions or do I need to add group to the share permissions too? Thanks Brian Warwickshire (Shakespear's County) UK
February 23rd, 2010 3:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics