SBS08 - adding a site to IIS7 with a 2nd domain name doesn't load
I have an install of SBS08 and IIS7. The default website (site.com) and SBS08's Companyweb work perfectly. Additional Sharepoint custom sites work perfectly. I have tried adding two additional sites, just like I had under SBS03 and IIS6, call them site2.com and site3.com. Unfortunately, when those sites are setup (using the "Add web site..." wizard in IIS7) with their correct host headers, they pull up so incredibly slowly (over 10 minutes) that for all intents and purposes they look like they're not running. For example, in testing I placed the basic default website content (the IIS7 logo page that is installed on the Default Website) in a new folder under the inetpub directory. I then routed site2.com to this folder with site2.com as the host header. Locally it loaded perfectly fine, but externally it ran as described above. There are 2 basic pieces to that site, the page itself loaded after about 30 seconds, and the graphic loaded about 5 mins later. Mind you, remote.site.com (the default SBS remote access site including Outlook Web Access and companyweb access) works perfectly from both the local server and external WAN connections; no firewall issues, great bandwidth. Site2.com was also placed on port 80, just like remote.site.com. The remote.site.com site does not have any header bindings other than remote.site.com. Using a subdomain of site.com results in a WORKING site. Adding site2.com to the working site.com "Default Web Site" headers results in site.com working, site2.com still not working (even when Default Web Site is the only site running and all others are stopped). Turning off all other sites and testing site2.com does not change the outcome. Pointing site.com to the test directory created for site2.com proves that the site and folder load up perfectly fine under the site.com domain name. Put simply, whenever I try to add a domain different from the one originally used to setup SBS08, it will not work (I have tried 3). Each domain used for testing had the exact same DNS setup with the domain registrar, each worked perfectly on IIS6 and SBS03. I simply cannot find anything on the net or in my testing over the last week that would explain why a 2nd domain name in a host header would fail to load correctly. The fact that its not completely dead, but that content drizzles in over a heinous amount of time says something is definitely screwy, as connections are made and content is eventually pulled! I've even tried various DNS settings to see if that would make a difference. There is no difference in the ability to load site2.com if there is a specific DNS entry for site2.com in the SBS08 box's own DNS console (which is what I had suspected, but a site I found mentioned that I needed to create DNS entires for site2.com in the server's DNS, even though the host header was already entered...but, that didn't work). I'm pulling my hair out. This is a brand new install, and everything else seems to be working correctly. Because of that, the company started using their email and if I have to wipe this box its going to create a huge headache backing up each workstation's redirected documents and everyone's email boxes. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS7, but I'm afraid of what that would do to the SBS08 integrations. I should also mention that I have tried adding the sites and attaching them to new, unique App pools as well as using the Default App Pool. Disk permissions on the wwwroot folder and the test folders are identical (and I have reapplied them repeatedly, recursively, to be sure), so disk permissions don't seem like they would be the issue. Plus, if disk permissions were the issue the content wouldn't trickle in over 10 mins. I have also tested by turning off all the firewalls (router and Windows Firewall), no change. Additionally, since port 80 is used for all sites, and it works for remote.site.com, firewall doesn't seem to be the issue anyway. I can't imagine how this would apply, but is it at all possible that our ISP's PPPoE is causing an issue? I don't know why it would, especially since I didn't have to do any sort of setup with them for site.com, so there shouldn't be any difference with site2.com being pointed at the same IP as site.com from their perspective. A traceroute on site.com and site2.com proves that the server is responding to initial connections within .01 milliseconds of each other, so the initial connection to the server is being made correctly. I'm desperate! Thank you.
May 5th, 2009 9:50pm

Hi, As this issue is related to Small Business Server 2008 and IIS7, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot it. I suggest discussing this issue in our Small Business Server newsgroup or IIS 7.0 forum. Small Business Server newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz&lang=en&cr=US&r=627fae54-a95e-45ba-b054-e423964b47fa IIS 7.0 forum: http://forums.iis.net/default.aspx?GroupID=41 I hope your issue can be resolved soon. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2009 4:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics