SAN Copy Capable - Library nodes not showing as managed when they are!

Hi,

I'm trying to set up rapid provisioning using SAN copy in VMM 2012 R2 with a Dell EqualLogic PS4110XS. I've followed all of the instructions in the proscriptive guidance here

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20437936/download

but the VHD shows up in the VMM Library with the SAN Copy Capable flag set to No.

The only difference between what is in the proscriptive documentation and what I've done is the fact that my new library share is on a Clustered file server - however both of the cluster nodes are also Hyper-V hosts and are managed by VMM.

However when I look at the properties of the library server it shows this;-

'This node is not being managed by VMM'. If I look at the properties of the cluster in the fabric view you can see that they ARE

Does anyone have any idea why the SAN Copy Capable flag isn't being set? There's not much point in having an image sitting on a cluster disk that's capable of zero copy clones if it ends up being copied over the LAN by BITS to a CSV!!

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Mark.

March 20th, 2015 11:12am

Hi Sir,

Please refer to the following prerequisites of SAN copy-capable template :

"
Your configuration must meet all the prerequisites that are defined in the Prerequisites for rapid provisioning using SAN copy section of Rapid Provisioning of Virtual Machines Using SAN Copy Overview.

• If you want to perform this procedure entirely within VMM, you must add the library server as a managed Hyper-V host. This enables you to assign the logical unit to the library server through VMM. If you do not want to make the library a managed Hyper-V host, you can use your array vendors management tools to assign the logical unit to the library server.
  • You must have an existing virtual hard disk (that was generalized by using Sysprep) that you want to use as a base image for rapid provisioning.
  • Create a folder in the library share that you will use to mount the logical unit to, and to store the virtual hard disk."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610597.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 12:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics