Running out of IP address on current subnet
Ok, so I just got employed at a new company and the old IT admin gets let go. I only have a basic knowledge of networking under my belt. The network runs on one subnet and each machine has a static IP because of the way their MRP software works. We are now running out of IP address to give out to new workstations. Can someone tell me how to create more IP address for additional workstations?
December 15th, 2009 3:40pm

Hello decki :1- How many Clients do you have in your platform right now ?2-What is your current Ip Address Range and its subnetmask ?3-Does the company have a growing plan ? i mean will the network be bigger than current size in the future ?4-Do you have a domain environment or its a workgroup?thank you. Network is my LOVE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 15th, 2009 7:59pm

1. After all said and done with my workstations, servers, printers, production machines, wireless devices, switches, other network equipment, we are up to about 240 devices in the network including about a range of 10 DHCP address that we use for VPN users. 2. 192.168.1.x - 255.255.255.0 3. We have been growing more over the last year or so, but in 6 months or so, it is going to slow and become steady. 4. This is a WIN SVR 08 environment.
December 15th, 2009 8:51pm

Hello Decki :I think you are better to supernet the default IPrange of your network and make it suitable for your network , Supernetting means when you have an IP addreess range that is not enaught to coverall your network devices then you can make them bigger by borrowing Bits from the NetID of your subnetmask ,you can use this article to do this operation even if you can not make calculcation on it , you can use one of the articles IPranges that are supernetted:http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034906.htmlFor example you can use : 192.168.0.0 to 192,168.1.254 with the subnetmask of 255.255.254.0 in this way you will have upto 512 ip address.I hope it will be helpful or the answer . Network is my LOVE
December 15th, 2009 11:01pm

Hello Mohammad, What are the pros/cons of supernetting?
December 15th, 2009 11:05pm

Hi decki :IPs are binary in fact and you know they have calculation on them , when you want to divide a wide range of ip address range into small network IP ranges you use subnetting calculation and if you want to make your network iprange bigger you will use supernetting.Network is my LOVE
December 15th, 2009 11:09pm

Hi,Mohammad is right you better to supernet.
December 18th, 2009 9:19am

When you do this, you have to reassign the new subnet to each machine, correct?
June 4th, 2010 3:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics