Running VMs within Windows 7

Hi,

I'm very new to Hyper-V so I'll ask all the newbie questions here.  My scenario is to build Windows 2008 R2 as a domain controller, windows 2008 R2 which runs SQL R2 and windows 2008 R2 which runs SharePoint 2010.  I want all 3 servers to be on the same domain (lab) and play around with configuring SharePoint 2010.

I have download Windows hyper-V 2012 and installed while in Windows 7 environment.  I obviously thought this was just going to be a Virtual environment within Windows 7 where I can just build VMs or load up VHD or ISO but I was wrong.

I now have a dual boot between Windows Hyper-V 2012 and Windows 7.  I have no idea how to use command line when I'm in Windows Hyper-V so that was pointless.

What I need is a console where I can build VMs within Windows 7, configure networking so 3 VMs can talk to each other and I can have a mini lab with domain controller and SharePoint.  How can I achieve this using just 1 laptop?  My laptop is powerful enough to handle virtualisation.

Thanks.

February 1st, 2013 5:30pm

There is no Windows Hyper-V 2012, either Hyper-V Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012. 

Hyper-V Server  is a stand-alone product (a type 1), it doesn't run in any OS, it runs underneath the OS and all your VMs run on top of it.

If you want to create VMs in Windows 7, look at VMware Workstation or Player, VirtualBox, or Parallels Workstation.  They are are all type 2 hypervisors that run on top of the OS instead of underneath like Hyper-V. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2013 8:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics