Running SQL Server with reduced resources

Hi Experts,

Have a SQL Server hosted on a VM having 8 CPU and 16 GB memory. The max memory settings for SQL server is 12 GB.

There is a requirement to change the VM CPU count to 4 and memory to 8 GB. In this case what I am presuming is that the sql sever max memory allocation would only be the component to be changed say to 6 GB to make it compatible with the change. The CPU change would be automatically taken in by the SQL sever.

August 30th, 2015 10:44am

Hi Experts,

Have a SQL Server hosted on a VM having 8 CPU and 16 GB memory. The max memory settings for SQL server is 12 GB.

There is a requirement to change the VM CPU count to 4 and memory to 8 GB. In this case what I am presuming is that the sql sever max memory allocation would only be the component to be changed say to 6 GB to make it compatible with the change. The CPU change would be automatically taken in by the SQL sever.

I guess you are asking to reset value of max server memory to 6G. It would be correct thing to change max server memory value since memory has changed but what would be correct value can only be guessed I would say 5 G. To find appropriate value refer below thread

Deterministic Method of evaluating Sensible BPOOL Size

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 11:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics