Routing and Remote Access fails to install
Hello, I recently installed Windows Server 2008 beta 3 onto my new computer, which went smothly. I have ADDS, DHCP, DNS, IIS, Terminal Services, and Network Policy and Access Service installed and they all work perfectly. However, I recently tried to install Routing and Remote Access, but I got the following error message when I finished the configuration wizard: "Installation of the Routing and Remote Access Service failed because: Class not registered (80040154). Whats causing this, and how do I fix this?
July 22nd, 2007 6:47pm

Did you get any errors during your WS08 install? Have you changed any of the permissions in the registry or the filesystem? Cheers MK blogs.technet.com/mkleef
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2007 7:06am

This error usually indicates a permissions problem in the registry's Control set under HK local machine. However, I would suggest you not to touch the registry since I cannot provide the exact steps to scroll into the registry. This is just a guess if in an environment of Win Srv 2003 and it may or may not be similar to the case of Win Srv 2008. John
July 30th, 2007 1:59am

I got the same error when I try to configure the routing and remote access. After the installation.I got the error belong.."installation of the routing and remote access service failed because:Class not registered (80040154)"
February 7th, 2008 7:52pm

I have the exact same problem on a Windows Server 2008 RTM and I need help ASAP My machine is on a domain, I am logged as an administrator, the Windows Server 2008 is a clean installation and the only thing I have done was add the Hyper-V role. Any idea of how to workarround this? Many thanks Susana
April 5th, 2008 7:41pm

I also have this trouble of an error when installing Routing and Remote Access "class not registered..." It is a Windows Server 2008 RTM clean install. Added machine to our Windows 2003 domain and then after reboot added Windows Powershell. Logged in as domain admin and then when tried to add routing and remote accessgotthe message described by everyone else. Like others I need to know how to get over this problem.
April 18th, 2008 4:43pm

Install the role through the Server Manager > Add Roleswizardand choose the Network Policy and Access ServicesRole.After you choose this role one of the sub-options is Routing and Remote access. Once you have installed it you will be able to go into Computer Management > Services and Applicationsand enable it. Hope this helps, Zach
May 4th, 2008 10:16pm

HIThanks it works. had the same Problem with Server 2008.
September 29th, 2009 10:19pm

Go to> Server Manager> Add Roles> Network Policy and Access Services Role> Then once you have installed the Role> Go to Services and applications>In services go to Routing and remote access> And START the service. In this O/S doesn't come installed by default as it is on Windows Server 2003.
October 4th, 2009 10:24pm

This is an old post but I used it to solve the same problem with WHS, thanks for posting
October 21st, 2010 6:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics