Routers interface IP address
Hello every one, I'm new to this forum and also new in IT. I'd like to get some information about routers . I have router at home, it has one WAN and four LAN ports all computer connected on each LAN port interface. My question are: 1 Is all Routers has same port like one for WAN and Four for LAN like the one I have at home? 2 How many different subnet can I make within my LAN? 3 Can I make different subnet on each LAN port? 4 Is every WAN and LAN port has it's own terminal IP address Please I need anybody help for this. any answer would be very appreciated. Thank you. Tony_aac
March 28th, 2012 8:52am

Hello, 1. depends on the vendor and model, some may have more LAN ports or even WAN ports. 2. if the router is able to provide VLANs th4en more then one, depends again on the model 3. on normal LAN ports, no, if you work with VLANs, one per VLAN 4. WAN ports have the ip address from the ISP and LAN ports are either manual configured but mostly have no ip address instead the device connected to it has an ip, like the computer.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 28th, 2012 9:29am

1. If you are talking about home use routers yes, most are like that. Business/enterprise routers no. 2. By default one but as Meinolf mentioned you could make use VLANs on switches and/or routers that support these features. 3. Yes if the router is functioning as a Router and not a Gateway. 4. Yes if the router is functioning as a Router and not a Gateway. If the router is running as a gateway then you have 1 WAN port and other LAN ports connecting to a subnet. If the router is running in Router mode then each interface including the LANs can be assigned to a specific subnet and given an ip address. If you read the manual for your router at home you will learn about all it's functionalities.MCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/
March 28th, 2012 12:15pm

Hello, 1. depends on the vendor and model, some may have more LAN ports or even WAN ports. 2. if the router is able to provide VLANs th4en more then one, depends again on the model 3. on normal LAN ports, no, if you work with VLANs, one per VLAN 4. WAN ports have the ip address from the ISP and LAN ports are either manual configured but mostly have no ip address instead the device connected to it has an ip, like the computer.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
March 28th, 2012 4:19pm

1. If you are talking about home use routers yes, most are like that. Business/enterprise routers no. 2. By default one but as Meinolf mentioned you could make use VLANs on switches and/or routers that support these features. 3. Yes if the router is functioning as a Router and not a Gateway. 4. Yes if the router is functioning as a Router and not a Gateway. If the router is running as a gateway then you have 1 WAN port and other LAN ports connecting to a subnet. If the router is running in Router mode then each interface including the LANs can be assigned to a specific subnet and given an ip address. If you read the manual for your router at home you will learn about all it's functionalities.MCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/
March 28th, 2012 7:05pm

Hi Meinolf and Marius, Thank you for the answers. This will clear my question and also thank you for fast response. Tony_aac
April 1st, 2012 10:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics