Root Domain and WWW record
We've got an empty root domain, let's call it birds.com. Users are in the blue.birds.com domain where the IIS server that hosts www.birds.com lives. Users complain that at home they can type "birds.com" in their browser and get to www.birds.com but not when they are inside the network. This makes sense to IT because internally they are resolving to our domain controllers instead of the public record, which is NAT'd to our internal IIS server. The only solution I could think of would be to create a hosts entry on blue.birds.com workstations with the public DNS entry for birds.com. What changes would be required on the router or firewall and what are the other possible ramifications for these workstations? Thanks
February 24th, 2011 8:56pm

Hello, create an A record in the DNS zone named "www" without the quotes and use the web server ip address or create a zone named as the website and place the A record inside this one.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2011 9:02pm

Hi Meinholf, We have an A WWW record for birds.com. The problem is that people are typing birds.com, which isn't the same as www.birds.com. Just typing birds.com accesses the root A records for all domain controllers for birds.com. Thanks
February 25th, 2011 1:13pm

So in your case, your internal and external domain name is the same.... There is a work-around method that you may want to consider which prevents the DCs from dynamically registering A records for the domain name: Active Directory Domain Name Considerations when Using the Same Internal and External Domain Name http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/active-directory-domain-name.html Other than that, you would have to install IIS on your DCs and perform a redirect. I know that alot of people choose to go this route, but I have my reservations about installing IIS on DCs just for this reason. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2011 1:36pm

Hi, You can refer to the following blog: How do I resolve my external website when my internal name is the same as my external name (split zone)? http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/09/04/split-zone-or-no-split-zone-can-t-access-internal-website-with-external-name.aspx BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 1st, 2011 1:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics