Role server removed, roles not transferred
We had a server fail a couple of months ago.The Server was re-installedand put back into action using the same name, but the server was never properly demoted, and the roles were never trasnferred from the old server. I'm starting to notice some significant performance problems on the server that was it's replacement.Looking at the roles, both the schema and infrastructure roles were located on the old server, and are showing as being assigned to it "but is deleted". So this means that no servers in our domain right now are holding those roles.We are planning on putting those roles back onto the server that replaced it. Is there going to be any problem, being that this server is named the same as the old one? Using ntdsutil to sieze the roles on the server should do it? Server adn domain is Win2k3 R2.Thanks.
January 16th, 2009 2:06am

Seizing the roles is really your only option as the previous server, regardless of common name, is gone. Windows stores names via GUID rather than common name.Seize them and then see how it works. Oh, you didn't say how you installed the replacement DC. Is it just a regular DC on the domain or did you transfer roles?For future if a DC fails it is best to seize the roles right away before reinstalling and putting back on the network. I am actually surprised the network is functioning without those roles.Cheers,Laralforbes
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2009 8:24am

I had to seize the roles twice in order for them to take but once I did, the server was identified. Now onto the next problem. Thanks Lara.
January 17th, 2009 12:30am

Yes, sometimes it needs a good kick. Glad you got it fixed.Cheers,Laralforbes
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 18th, 2009 8:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics