Robocopy with Windows 2008 R2
I was using robocopy with Server 2003 and had no one single issue. Today since 2 hours I am trying to find solution with robocopy of Windows 2008 R2. Old command was; robocopy H:\Source R:\Destination /E /COPYALL Ive used same command many times but same command not working under Win 2008 robocopy. Whats the equal command for robocopy 2008? Simply I wanna copy all files to another place with everything!!
February 14th, 2010 4:32am

that syntax is still valid in 2008 R2. are you running this out of an administrative command prompt? /richhttp://cbfive.com/blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 14th, 2010 4:55am

Hi, Yes I am running that command Run as Administrator. Ive got the ownership of destination and using enterprise admin account and still no result. Getting following error. NOTE : NTFS Security may not be copied - Destination may not be NTFS. 2010/02/14 12:26:07 ERROR 3 (0x00000003) Creating Destination Directory z:\ZDrive\ The system cannot find the path specified.
February 14th, 2010 5:28am

not sure exactly what's going on, but a couple of things to check: the obvious one - is the z:\ volume an ntfs directory? does the account that you are using to run robocopy have full control on the target directory on the z:\ drive? there is also something we can do to test to make sure that this would work under the same conditions (from the same machine, running with the same user) were we using the 2003 resource kit version of robocopy. if you download and install the resource kit you can run the legacy version of the robocopy with the COPYALL switch. let us know if that works for you. thx. /rich http://cbfive.com/blog
February 14th, 2010 11:14pm

Hi, Yes both locations are NTFS I am running robocopy (Run as administrator) and the account that I am using is Enterprise admin. Destination folder has been shared with necessary permissons and Security settings also. I can copy any file manually but ropocopy gives that error. This Win 2008 R2 freshly installed and there is no any other third party software. Robocopy came along with that operating system, so I did not install any support tool. Note: What Ive realized, if I dont use /copyall switch ropocopy copying files but I need to copy everything from the source to the destination. Thanks
February 14th, 2010 11:34pm

i wanted to see if you installed (and/or used) the robocopy from the 2003 resource kit tools if the COPYALL worked. i am guessing that it probably won't so we can skip that. load up secpol.msc and just validate that you have the Manage Audit Logs privilege. thx /rich http://cbfive.com/blog
February 16th, 2010 5:05am

I started to regret with Win 2008 R2. Instead of making easier they made harder.
February 20th, 2010 1:15am

sorry to hear that. did granting that user rights assignment resolve the issue?http://cbfive.com/blog
February 20th, 2010 2:34am

Unfortunately it did not work either. Everything looks fine except this command not working. I started missing Win 2003 since started to use Win 2008R2. Not enough support around and everyone trying to help eachother. No one here from MS support quite disappointed after pooring tenthousands...
February 20th, 2010 11:33pm

<rant> i definitely understand what you are saying. it takes everyone some time to ramp up on new technology. i spent several years with msft and i can tell you that even for us it is hard to really ramp up on a technology until we start taking calls on it. msft is great about offering training before the technology drops (if you work in the right office) but that quickly slips out of your mind unless you use it every day. additionally, we are typically playing with the technology for about 2 years before it RTMs, but there's no way we can simulate every situation and for those 2 years the code is being revised and improved (hopefully). myself excluded, msft has some of the best support engineers that i have ever worked with, as a peer or a customer. remember, everyone blames msft (including 3rd-party vendors) and i can tell you with certainty, that it is very, very rarely (by percentages) msft's issue. i am obviously somewhat biased though. and regardless, i understand your frustration. you bought when the technology is expensive (not just the shelf price but the total cost of ownership because of exactly what you said - everyone's learning it) but take comfort in the fact that others will be able to better use the technology better because of your experience and you are ahead of the curve. as others learn of settings in KB articles, you'll understand the concepts that drive those settings. and in my humble opinion, the lack of conceptual understanding creates 85% of the technical issues that plague organizations. knowing a best practice or a setting because you remember what someone told you the right setting is or the best practice may be is a start. knowing when that best practices or that right setting is not the right setting for your situation or not the organizational best practice will make you invaluable. i tell my customers all the time, the best thing and the worst thing about msft's products is that anyone can be an engineer or an admin. </rant> now, if you'll forgive that. i am not really sure why this isn't working for you (and i haven't had the cycles to just repro it to be certain) but i am doubtful it is a tools thing specifically. still, good troubleshooting tells us that we should eliminate that. could you please install the 2003 resource kit on your 2008 R2 machine and attempt your robocopy string with the robocopy executable from the resource kit? if you'd prefer not to install it on the 2008 R2 machine, feel free to run robocopy from a 2003 machine but make sure to copy the same directories that you were trying to copy from the 2008 R2 machine. thanks for the patience. we'll get there - i promise. /rich http://cbfive.com/blog
February 21st, 2010 4:37am

Hi, i've managed to do a copbocopy (pull) from 2003 SP2 to 2008 R2 using the 2008 R2 as the machine that runs the robocopy. Seems to run ok.
June 9th, 2010 12:24pm

IT's a stale post but I hope to help someone. I do it all the time. The first time I ran into issues copying D:\ to D:\ with getting access denied. Same as stated above, admin on both boxes etc. etc. etc. My solution was to turn off User Access Control settings and reboot the 2008R2 box. It seems that Robocopy wasn't able to invoke the "are you sure? Are you really sure? Are you really really sure?" UAC prompts on the 2008R2 box.
September 8th, 2011 4:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics