Robocopy not copying NTFS permissions
Hi All, got a 2008 64bit server, copying a 100 GB folder from one disk to another on the same server. And randomly robocopy does not apply NTFS permissions to folders at root level. It leaves them to default. This is the command I am using:robocopy "F:\Project1" "H:\Project1" /E /Copy:DATSOU /IS /IT /log:c:\Project.txt /TEEWhat could be the issue ?
July 23rd, 2009 6:51am

Hi Anthony,thanx a lot for for ur reply, I will give that command a shot. Your comment that robocopy does NOT copy permissions means that if FOlder 1 in F drive has a specific NTFS permission applied then folder3 will not get it if the whole folder structure is copied to another drive ? c:\folder1\folder2\folder3 yes I am using the built in robocopy in Windows 2008.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2009 2:12pm

Hello, If we want to robocopy the whole d:\project1 and all the subfolders to H:\project1 while preserving its NTFS security permission, we can use following command syntax with robocopy. Example: ============= Robocopy "F:\Project1" "H:\Project1" /E /SEC /e: Copies subdirectories includes any empty directories. /sec: Copies files with security. For more reference, please refer to: Robocopy http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/d4c6e8e9-fcb3-4a4a-9d04-2d8c367b63541033.mspx?mfr=true Hope this information will be helpful.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 27th, 2009 9:29am

Hi David,I have tried that and it does not copy AD security groups at all (specially inherited permissions), just leaves them with default security settings.
July 27th, 2009 1:52pm

Try to use copy all switch. As he mentioned, check that you have full rights to write into folders. I faced lots of issues with this. Also, i had issues when I was copying data from local disks to SAN disks. Are you both disks are local?
July 30th, 2009 5:39pm

Hi David,I tried with /SEC as well and no luck. The same command works fine on Windows 2003 Sp2 R2, but actsfunnyon Windows 2008 SP2.This is a SAN disk to SAN disk copy and I have full admin rights. To restoreNTFS permissions,I dumped permission from the old share using SetACL and dumped them back to the new share. No luck. Surprisingly, both SetACL and Robocopy do not log any errors and report that they completed successfully but the folders that had not copied permissions previously remain the same. Finally I tried icacls. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919240And it worked 100% with permissions. it copied the permissions to afile correctly and appliedthem correctlly as well to the new root share. In the Kb for icacls it says "The Icacls.exe utility resolves various issues that occur when you use the existing utilities. " So what is fixed ? or changed in Windows 2008 that is breaking pretty much all other utilities that copyNTFS permissions ?
August 3rd, 2009 7:56am

How can the size of the SCSI cable affect the NTFS permissions?
October 15th, 2009 6:18pm

The best way to copy security is to use the /B and /COPYALL switches together. /B specifies that the backup right is used to copy the files, this bypasses the security and preventing errors. Thus, files the user doesn't even have access to are copied as well, with security in place. I agree as above Robocopy (/B or /ZB) /COPYALL on W2K8 R2 and to SAN disks works, no problemoCheersLM
February 16th, 2010 8:01pm

SAN disk isn't the issue. However, the 2008 of robocopy may be...i haven't used it. Try the XP010 version available for download from Microsoft. After hours of banging my head against this wall, I read the above line...grabbed a 2003 copy of robocopy and BINGO! worked like a charm. Robocopy 2008 did NOT copy the permissions regardless of the flag (e.g., /SEC or /B or...).
August 17th, 2010 12:39am

The /B was required for me to copy over permissions to a Windows 2008 server. This is needed whether you use /Copy:DATSOU or /COPYALL. Gunner999's response is not marked as an answer but I have proposed it is marked as an answer. Michael
January 20th, 2011 7:46pm

Of all the options suggested here /zb /copyall was the only one that worked for me on 2008R2 to 2008R2 both local disks vs SAN.
March 3rd, 2011 4:17am

This one worked for me in the end on Win2K8 R2 std:- ROBOCOPY /B /E /COPYALL /W:0 /R:0 S:\Source\path \\Destination\share. SAN or local disk was irrelevant.
March 23rd, 2011 7:33pm

Did you try disabling the UAC? or you can try the /MIR option. be carefull with the /MIR option
May 2nd, 2011 12:44am

Another vote for /B. We use robocopy for migrations and do it in 3 steps, create, copy files, copy security. Allows fixing broken permissions on the source before copying them to the destination. Final step: ROBOCOPY /SOU /B source destination
June 16th, 2011 2:01pm

Hello Ron1n, Check out this post, "Robocopy on Windows Server 2008 SP2 does not copy folder permissions" in Windows Server forums, File Services and Storage. I wrote a procedure that may address the problems your having copying folder and file ACLs from source to target disks. Darryl
March 27th, 2012 8:42am

I also had this same fault using version XP026 of robocopy on Windows Server 2003 for a migration to a netapp share, robocopy was randomly leaving some NTFS permissions out at the root of folders.. I downgraded to version XP010 and ran the robocopy again with the exact same switches, and it successfully copied the security over.
May 8th, 2012 10:51am

i did found out that if the source folder has inheritable rights from parent folder SET that the access rights are not correct copied. unset "inheritable rights" at the source folder and then try again to sync the access rights with robocopy.
June 25th, 2012 12:01pm

However, the 2008 of robocopy may be...i haven't used it. Try the XP010 version available for download from Microsoft. XP010 version works for me perfectly. I have two servers in the same domain on different SANs. Source 2K8 R2, destination 2K3 R2 sp2. Trying with robocopy XP027 same params plus /B made me receive the following: ERROR : You do not have the Backup and Restore Files user rights. ***** You need these to perform Backup copies (/B or /ZB). My domain user is a local admin both source and destination servers and backup operators as well. Tks all for helping Don
July 8th, 2012 5:40pm

Thanks for the post! I was having the same issues. Migrating folders from 2008R2 to SAN. Security permissions are not being copied over. XP010 fixed my issue! My final robocopy statement like this ... robocopy U:\PUD\E058223 V:\E058223 /E /Z /COPY:DATSOU /V /log:E058223.txt /tee /R:1
February 9th, 2013 1:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics