Robocopy not copying ACLs

Take following directory:

D:\Directory\Sub\

D: has explicit permissions and are passed to sub directories.

D:\Directory\ has inherited and explicit permissions.

D:\Directory\Sub\ only has inherited permissions.

I'm using robocopy to make an exact copy D:\Directory\ on a new drive, including ACLs and ACEs, with the following syntax:

robocopy "D:\Directory" "G:\Directory" /e /sec /log:logfile

But not a ACL is copied over. I end up with plain "User" and "Administrators" ACLs on the new directory.

This is being done on a file server, and I'm using a domain administrator to perform the action in an elevated command prompt.

It might be worth mentioning that the storage is a SAN (IBM V7000). The D drive is a raw device, the new drive a plain VMDK.

April 30th, 2014 4:30am

Hi,

As files are already copied, please have a try with /secfix to see if security permission will be copied. I'll do the same test on my side and reply when I finished. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2014 1:55am

Hi There this will work,

robocopy "D:\Directory" "G:\Directory" /e /MIR /SEC /SECFIX /log:logfile

Regards

May 1st, 2014 6:09am

Hi,

I was mistaken, and the ACLs were copied over (but not the ACLs from the root directory). There are the parameters I used:

Source : D:\
     Dest : G:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /NS /NC /NDL /NFL /S /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:T /SECFIX /R:0 /W:0 

My goal is to make a one-time copy of an entire drive, basically a clone, with all permissions. Including the permissions set on the root level, in this case "D:". This apparently didn't work.

The disk is rather large, so I haven't tried it with the /MIR parameter you've mentioned. Will this fix my issue in this case?

Also, somewhat unrelated: the administrator account does not have permissions on some files/directories. I could take ownership, but I assume that would remove all existing permissions. Would it take inherited permissions over?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2014 4:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics