Robocopy from windows 2003 server to windows 2008 server, more files in destination than source.
Hello, I am having a problem where, when copy files from server 2003 to server 2008 R2 the amount of files on the destination server seem to be more than the amount of files on the source server. For example server1(2003 server) has 100,000 files but server2(2008R2) has 120,000. Both have the same amount of folders, but the destination has more files. The command i am using is being run from the 2008 R2 server copying data from 2003 to 2008R2, the 2008 R2 directory was completely empty when i started. robocopy <Source> <Destination> /e /z /DCOPY:T /copyall /tee /MT:64 /log:d:<LogDirectory\log.txt> /MIR /w:2 /r:2 /Purge Does anyone know why the destination would have more files than the source? I am almost to the point where i may open up a call with Microsoft, and thought i might as well check with Technet first. Thank you,
March 21st, 2011 3:49pm

I forgot to mention that i am logged in as the local administrator on the 2008 R2 server. and am running the command from an elevated command prompt.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 22nd, 2011 12:11pm

Hi, By default Robocopy will only copy a file if the source and destination have different time stamps or different file sizes. Incomplete copies If you terminate Robocopy during a copy operation (e.g if the Command Prompt window is closed), any incompletely copied destination file will be left with a later time stamp than it's corresponding source file. This behaviour is different to both COPY and XCOPY which will either copy the whole file successfully or won't create a destination file at all. If you restart the same Robocopy operation using the /XO switch, Robocopy will treat the file as an Older file and will skip it - leaving the half-copied file in place. For the rare occasions where /XO is needed - a workaround is to RENAME the destination folder, run ROBOCOPY and then RENAME the folder back again. That way if the script is interrupted part way through, the folder will be left with the 'wrong' name which is easy to detect and clean up.
March 29th, 2011 6:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics