Robocopy Corrupting Destination Files?
I'm in the process of copying a lot of files between an old and a new server. I'm using the 2008 R2 version of Robocopy with the 979808 hotfix. I'm seeing that I'm getting quite a few entries like this in the logs: 2011/02/09 01:05:02 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File \\server\i$\Photographic\file.JPG Access is denied. When I (logged on as domain admin and I've checked the security) clearly have access to the file. The file also appears to have copied over. However, I noticed today that the destination file is corrupt in so much as it has all the attributes of the source, but in one case an image was black/empty from half way down, in another case it simply didn't render. Copying the file manually from the same source worked just fine. I'm wondering if anyone's encountered anything similar before? The only thing that leaps to mind is that we're using the /MT option to do the robocopy and it may be co-incidence but I'm seeing much more of this error on volumes where I've upped the thread count to 16. Of course it also leaves the question of how on earth to do another copy that will only catch the files that failed as presumably the attributes when it compares source and destination will be identical? Thanks.
February 9th, 2011 1:07pm

Hi, First you may need to check the reason why error 5 occurs on some files. As the error is Access Denied, check permission settings again. If necessary, you can add your current account and give Full Control to permission list. Redo a robocopy /mir should skip the files which are already copied to destination folder. However I cannot confirm whether the corrupted files will be replaced as you said files also appears to have been copied.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 15th, 2011 8:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics