Robocopy ACL Issue
Hi DTo copy the security information for files that exits at both the source and destination, and to NOT copy the files, use: robocopy <Source> <Destination> /secfix /xo /xn /xc To mirror a <Source> folder on a <Destination> folder: robocopy <Source> <Destination> /secfix /xo /xn /xc [Other parameters]robocopy <Source> <Destination> /secfix [Other parameters]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/323275Hope this HelpsAll good things come to those who wait......
July 25th, 2009 8:21pm

Hi Deva, I tried the commands mentioned above and the problem persists. Please note both servers (source and dest) are running Windows 2008 SP2 x64. Thanks, D
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2009 9:24pm

HiTry this link.......http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(WS.10).aspxDevaAll good things come to those who wait......
July 26th, 2009 1:01am

Hi Deva, I reviewed the link and I am using the proper commands. I suspect there is a problem copying the NTFS/ACL information using Robocopy? Any thoughts how to resolve this issue? Cheers, D
July 26th, 2009 1:30am

Hi DI thing you are using the wrong commands or syntex. The below Urlwhich indicates Directory copy with all access rights (ACL, ACE).Hope this helps!http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/ac32a91b-6bc2-430e-9a21-820f15a731d4DevaAll good things come to those who wait......
July 26th, 2009 2:01am

I came across this thread because I have been researching the very same issue. Likewise I am running Windows Server 2008 X64 SP2 on both servers. Be wary of those who throw out suggestions to check your syntax, yet are not intimately familiar with this issue. Many people making such suggestions often do not know what the different versions of Robocopy are, what limitations each version has, how to get each version or what has changed syntax-wise from version to version. Yet they talk with authority. This has always been and will always be part of open public forums. Of course we should always look at our syntax. However this seems to be an issue with the new version of Robocopy. I haven't hammered the solution down yet, but here are some things to try: 1) Note that many people on other forums are saying that if the source has inheritance turned on, then Robocopy will not copy the permissions over, especially those at the root of a drive. Others have suggested turning off inheritance on the source. I don't like that solution. I turn on inheritance for a reason. 2) I have tried copying one level down from the root with some success. For example, instead of this: Robocopy.exe \\server1\e$ e: /TEE /S /E /COPY:DATS /PURGE /R:1 /W:1 (or whatever your parameters are...) try going down one level... Robocopy.exe \\server1\e$\folder1 e:\folder1 /TEE /S /E /COPY:DATS /PURGE /R:1 /W:1 I don't like this solution either. It is so much simpler to copy from the root of one drive to the root of another drive on another server. I don't want to have to do extra scripting to gather the names of the folders one level below the root and then add For Loops to my script. 3) In some forums people are suggesting to use Robocopy to copy data and icacls.exe to handle the permisssions, at least on the root. I plan to explore this option next. Once again, I don't like the solution. I expect Robocopy to be able to handle this. Of course I'll eat my shoe if it turns out that Robocopy works just fine and I simply don't have the right syntax.
August 4th, 2009 10:43pm

BTW, icacls.exe may not set the inheritance bit, unless you appply a hotfix. Xcacls should be looked at also.
August 4th, 2009 10:49pm

Hi TokyoPaul, Thank you for your post. I ended up writing a script to copy the files and set the proper permissions using icacls.exe. There is a bug with Robocopy and Windows 2008. Cheers, D
August 5th, 2009 6:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics