Robocopy - ERROR : You do not have the Manage Auditing user right.
I'm trying to copy files between servers in different domains, while retaining ntfs permissions. The souce and destination are in different domains, but there is a trust in place. Source is WinXP based NAS device. Destination is windows 2008 server. I'm executing the command on the win2k8 box. I'm an domain admin on both machines. I keep getting this error: ERROR : You do not have the Manage Auditing user right. How do I give myself this "Manage Auditing" user right? U:\>robocopy \\dellnas1\users\fumstead \\lanpa\mad\home\fumstead /e /copyall ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Started : Thu Jan 29 12:54:43 2009 Source : \\dellnas1\users\fumstead\ Dest : \\lanpa\mad\home\fumstead\ Files : *.* Options : *.* /S /E /COPYALL /R:1000000 /W:30 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ERROR : You do not have the Manage Auditing user right.***** You need this to copy auditing information (/COPY:U or /COPYALL). Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path). destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path). /MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree. For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /? **** /MIR can DELETE files as well as copy them ! If I exclude the auditing I get this error: 2009/01/29 11:33:05 ERROR 1307 (0x0000051B) Copying NTFS Security to DestinationFile \\dellnas1\users\fumstead\WINDOWS\Msflxgrd.ocxThis security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object. What's it mean?
January 29th, 2009 9:08pm

Hi Rich, It seems that the user doesn't have full control on ntfs and share permission on the target share. Would you please verify that the logon domain admin has full control permission on the target share to test? if you still cannot copy the data in this case, i'd suggest you use NTBackup on the Windows to backup and migrate the data to the new box. Thanks and regards,ScorprioMCTS/MCITP: Enterprise Admin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2009 2:12pm

You need to have the command prompt to be run as administrator. right click run as admin
March 24th, 2009 8:57pm

Yes, right clicking on command prompt and selecting run as administrator will work.However, if you run robocopies like i do through schedule tasks then it is a bit different. Once you setup the schedule task, right click on the task and under the general tab select run whether user is logged on or not and select run with highest privileges. Then click ok and run the task. This of course is how to do it in windows 2008. I haven't tried it in windows 2003.
June 20th, 2009 12:59am

I have the same problem. I logon as domain admin and tried "run as administrator". Still got that error message:-(
June 23rd, 2009 7:10pm

make sure you are using the command prompt and not PowerShell.Member-X, MCSE 2003 and all around great guy :-)
October 26th, 2009 9:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics