Roaming profiles will not load
Our company has this one desktop computer which has troubles with user roaming profiles. Description Desktop: Windows XP Professional version 2002, Service Pack 3 Core 2 Duo E7300 2,66GHz, 2GB RAM, +120GB free disk space Whenever a user tries to log on the following messages appear: [Original dutch] Windows kan de serverkopie van uw zwervend profiel niet vinden en probeert nu u aan te melden met uw lokale profiel. Wijzigingen in het profiel zullen niet naar de server worden gekopieerd wanneer u zich afmeldt. Dit wordt mogelijk veroorzaakt door netwerkproblemen of onvoldoende beveiligingsrechten. Neem contact op met de netwerkbeheerder wanneer het probleem blijft bestaan. Detail: Het systeem heeft een poging tot inbreuk op de beveiliging gedetecteerd. Controleer of u een verbinding kunt maken met de server die uw account heeft geverifieerd [English translation found online] Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. You may receive this error message because of network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator. Detail: The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you. Followed by the next message: [Original Dutch] Kan het lokale profiel niet vinden. U wordt aangemeld met een tijdelijk profiel. Wijzigingen die u in dit profiel aanbrengt gaan verloren wanneer u zich afmeldt. [English translation found online] Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off If I check the active directory then I see that the user is not blocked or such. The user can log in without any problems on any other system. The path to the profiles directory points to a network drive of the AD server (192.168.1.2/profiles/ck). After logging in with the temporary local profile, I tried going to the profile directory using the explorer and this was possible. Network and internet are operating without any problems. I also tried logging in with my personal account, which also has problems on that desktop, but not on my Windows 7 desktop. Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this problem? More information > Pastebin of the USERENV log
September 23rd, 2011 9:59am

Computer account problems I quess. What are the result of running "GPResult -R"? This will show if the computer runs any group policies at all. If this seems to be the problem you can disjoin the computer from the domain and add it back again, and try again. /Olav
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2011 1:01pm

check the security persmission of the folders where is that profile stored.Darshana Jayathilake
September 24th, 2011 9:53pm

I checked the permissions again, I already did in the beginning, but they are still ok. The selected user has all permission, so shouldn't be the problem I think.
September 26th, 2011 4:43am

Hi, As OlavT mentioned i looks like computer account issues. Can you try and remove the computer from the domain and join it again? K
September 26th, 2011 5:06am

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions: 1. Do you have Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) turned on? 2. Do you use a wireless network with Windows XP? According to my search, there are many Microsoft KB articles describe the similar issues that we can disable ICF, install hotfix and use other solutions to fix. For the detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles: You receive a "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile" error message when you try to log on to a Windows XP-based client http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832850 You receive a "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile" error message when you log on to a wireless network with Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873485 "The roaming profile cannot be found" error message when you log on to your network from a Windows XP-based computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831651 Error Message: Windows Cannot Find the Local Profile and Is Logging You On with a Temporary Profile http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257580 Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 26th, 2011 7:04am

Yes, Firewall was turned off and there was no wireless netword used (only wired). I saw those articles too in my Google Quest. But, an update on the problem. I showed my boss the things that were wrong with the desktop and I also noticed the system antivirus was turned of and the computer was running a whole load of malware. When he saw that, there was only one thing I was allowed to do next: format and re-ghost it. So I did and the problem dissapeared. My guess is that the desktop was running too much stuff that should not have been on there and that was preventing it from doing it's job properly. Thanks for all the help though!
September 27th, 2011 4:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics