Roaming profiles don't Roam with user
I have a Win2k member server and a 2003 PDC. I have about 15 users who I want to have roaming profiles. I set up the profile path on the windows 2000 server as \\servername\profiles\%username%. I also have folder redirection of My Documents to a win2003 server under their home drive. The profile folder get created and permission set, but when the user logs onto another machine, their settings don't follow them; printers, drives, nothing.There are also some scripts that create an MS Outlook profile and drive mapping when as user logs into a machine with no profile. Not sure if this is the problem, but what can cause a roaming profile not to load with no windows error being generated.Any help would be great.Beyud
June 25th, 2008 11:59pm

Hi, If I understand properly, you configure roaming profile path on member server with windows server 2000 instead of DC with Windows server 2003. If I misunderstood, please let me know. Roaming profile information of domain users should be stored on DC. In this way, when users logon to another workstation, DC will detect this is roaming user and download his profile to local machine. Generally speaking, in order to let roaming profile make effect, you should configure it on DC as following: To configure a user account to use a roaming user profile: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools (Common), and then click User Manager for Domains or Active Directory Users and Computers for Windows Server 2003. 2. Double-click the user account to which you want to assign a roaming profile, and then click Profile. 3. Type the complete path to the shared folder that contains the user's profile in the User Profile Path box, and then click OK. Use the following format for the user profile path: \\server_name\shared_folder_name\user_profile_folder_name For example, if you want to store the user's roaming profile in a folder that has the same name as the user account in a shared folder that is named "Profiles" on a server that is named "Server1," type the following path: \\Server1\Profiles\%username% Windows server automatically replaces the %username% variable with the user account name when it creates and accesses the user profile. When you use this variable, you can type the same path for all users. 4. Click OK, and then quit User Manager for Domains or Active Directory Users and Computers. Please test the above steps. If this issue still persists, please feel free to post here. Here, I also list some basic roaming profile troubleshooting steps for your reference: 1) Please check the correct permissions. Can you access user's profile via UNC path on client machine? One of the most common causes of roaming user profile errors is incorrect permissions on the profile share. 2)In addition to logging events in the Application Event log, User Profiles can provide a detailed log to aid troubleshooting. To create a detailed log file for user profiles: 1. Start regedit and locate the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon 2. Create a new value called UserEnvDebugLevel as a REG_DWORD, and set the value to 30002 in hexadecimal format. The log file can be found at: %windir%\debug\usermode\userenv.log. You can send this log to me via tfwst@microsoft.com. Note: a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body: Roaming profiles don't Roam with user Morgan - MSFT b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails. c. Please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email. Hope this helps. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2008 9:24am

Morgan CheMSFT said: Hi, If I understand properly, you configure roaming profile path on member server with windows server 2000 instead of DC with Windows server 2003. If I misunderstood, please let me know. Generally speaking, in order to let roaming profile make effect, you should configure it on DC as following: To clarify you statement/question above, I open Active Directory Users and Computer snap in within Windows Sever 2000 which is a member server. According to what you mentioned above, I should be on the DC when I add a roaming profile path. I thought using the AD Users and COmputers snap in was the same no matter what server you are on, whether a member server or DC. I'll follow the steps you indicated and report back, but I'd like this clarified.Thanks,Tom-Help?
June 27th, 2008 11:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics