Roaming profile XP and Windows 7
On windows server 2008 I would like to setup roaming profiles however I heard that this will not work fine if you are roaming between an XP and a Windows 7 due to the different file structures. Will the My documents of the XP machine appear in the Documents and Settings user My Documenst folder of the Win 7 machine ?
September 30th, 2010 1:56am

Hi, When you use roaming profiles on windows Xp and after that the user log on a Windows 7 system, there will be created a new roaming profile username.V2. They are not compatible and don't share resources so if you would like to share the my document folder you have to setup a policy with Folder redirection. Some additional information about folder redirection can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753996.aspxRegards Ronny
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2010 2:35am

Hello acmsoft, The folder structure of user profiles in Windows Vista/7 and XP are quite different. Although Windows 7 uses mechanisms to help legacy applications to get on with the new structure (junctions for example), this still will cause many problems. However, you can use folder redirection to make Windows XP and Windows 7 roaming user profiles interoperable. Brent Hu,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 4th, 2010 5:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics