Roaming Profiles
Hi, I have roaming profiles setup for our remote working environemnt. Currently using Citrix XenApp 6 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit. Everything is working well part from one little quirk that I have. The roaming profiles are stored on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit box, which is only used for the profile and home storage. I am trying to keep the roaming profiles as small as possible and taken a few steps to achieve this. I have used folder redirection for folders such as Documents, Pictures etc etc. This works well. I have also used Group Policy to delete temp int files when the browser is closed and also set a 60MB capacity on each users roaming profile. But I thought that anything in appdata\local was excluded from roaming profiles? The particular folder that is causing problems is appdata\local\microsoft\windows\WER as this can contain large files in it. I know that you cannot redirect the folder too. Any suggestions would be welcomed
January 7th, 2011 8:15am

Those are Windows Error Reporting files, if you are not interested in analyzing them you can disable them. Additionally you are wrong because WER can be redirected to a server by GPO (not by folder redirection, but by Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Error Reporting) the details can be found here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457179.aspxWith kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2011 8:26am

Ah, brilliant. Thanks for that. Will take a look at disabling it.
January 7th, 2011 8:48am

Hi, can the same be done for temp internet files as it seems that despite what I have configured, the appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\ is still being populated in the roaming profile
January 7th, 2011 3:17pm

Yes you can control the location of Temporary Internet Files via following registry key HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache you can modify that value by custom logon script, or using Group Policy PReferences, or by developing custom adm / admxWith kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
January 7th, 2011 7:29pm

Hmm I seem to be having problems with appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5 as even though GPO is set to clear these when the browser is closed they are still being populated. I like you idea about changing the location, but would that mean that the local hdd from where they are running their session would soon fill up with these files? i guess a logon script could be written to delete the local folder when the user logs on? Any other ideas?
January 18th, 2011 11:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics