Roaming Profile Delay If No Network Available - How To Reduce Delay
Hello! I have a Windows 7 laptop that is connected to the domain. The user account I am using has a roaming profile set up. While on the network, the roaming profile works very well and the user can log in after about 5-10 seconds. However, when there is no network connection, the laptop takes about 30 seconds to log in. The laptop gets delayed at the "Please wait for the User Profile Service" step of the login process. To clarify, by "no network connection" I mean that there is no Ethernet cable attached and the wireless device is turned off using the hardware wireless switch on the laptop. I've also tried to disable both the adapters in Windows, but this does not help either. Is there a group policy or change that can be made to the laptop that would speed up the login process when there is no network connection at all? Thanks!
February 21st, 2010 6:04am

Hello, Thank you for your post here. 30 Seconds is the default timeout for loading roaming profile. You may customize the setting by configure the group policy setting "Timeout for dialog boxes". For more information, please refer to: Timeout for dialog boxes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc975907.aspx If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2010 6:58am

Thanks for responding Miles! I tried the GP you mentioned and it did not help. In reading the GP, it indicates that it is only supported on Server 2003, XP and W2K. So, it appears that this GP is no longer valid in Win7. Do you know of another way to lower/remove this delay? Thanks!
February 22nd, 2010 8:10am

Hi, did you ever fix this?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 12th, 2011 9:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics